AFS

Default why do I type a "b" and get an "o?"

In the middle of typing a word document the letters on the keyboard display
different letters than the ones I've typed.
For awhile I thought the keyboard was haunted but this happens frequently.

FOr instance, I'll type a "B" but on the monitor in my word document, an "o"
will appear. It happens with no warning. I have to shut down the computer
twice and reboot in order for the "bug" to get out.
Now for instance, while typing through the Web, I am having no problem. I
only get the problem in word documents.
Please help!
Shauna Kelly

Hi

There are several possible causes of this problem.

1. Your keyboard may be damaged (I can attest that cups of tea and glasses
of red wine spilled on keyboards cause problems exactly like this). It
appears to be irreversible, and a new keyboard is the only solution. But
that's the least likely cause here.

2. The keyboard language may be wrong. Start Settings Control Panel
Regional and Language options. Make sure you have appropriate choices there.

3. There may be truly strange AutoCorrect settings in Word. So in Word, do
Tools AutoCorrect Options. In the replace box, type "B". If there is a
setting there to replace it with "o", then delete it.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word