Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Spykesgrl

Default How do I track the history of a word document?

I would like to know if it is possible to see the history of when a word
document was opened, other than just the most recent use.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I track the history of a word document?

Tracking the History of a Word Document
  1. Open the Word document that you want to track the history of.
  2. Click on the File tab in the top left corner of the screen.
  3. Click on Info in the left-hand menu.
  4. Click on Manage Document in the middle of the screen.
  5. Click on View Document Properties at the bottom of the drop-down menu.
  6. Click on the Versions tab.
  7. Here, you will see a list of all the versions of the document that have been saved. You can see the date and time that each version was saved, as well as who saved it.
  8. If you want to see the changes that were made in a specific version, click on the version and then click on Compare.
  9. This will open a new document that shows the changes that were made between the selected version and the previous version.

So, as you can see, it is possible to track the history of a Word document and see when it was opened and saved, as well as the changes that were made in each version.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 17:58:01 -0800, Spykesgrl
wrote:

I would like to know if it is possible to see the history of when a word
document was opened, other than just the most recent use.

No.

If Track Changes was turned on each time the document was edited, you
could see when the changes were made and by whom, but there wouldn't
be any record of just opening and closing without editing.

If you open the document in a hex editor, you may be able to see the
names of people who edited it, even if Track Changes wasn't turned on.
There would not be any record of when they opened it, though.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kevin B

You can click on FILE, select VERSIONS. Turn the AUTOMATICALLY SAVE A
VERSION ON CLOSE check box and then click the SAVE NOW command button.

This will keep track of edited versions over time.

Kevin Backmann

wrote:

I would like to know if it is possible to see the history of when a word
document was opened, other than just the most recent use.

No.

If Track Changes was turned on each time the document was edited, you
could see when the changes were made and by whom, but there wouldn't
be any record of just opening and closing without editing.

If you open the document in a hex editor, you may be able to see the
names of people who edited it, even if Track Changes wasn't turned on.
There would not be any record of when they opened it, though.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

Besides that, I got the impression the original request was just to look at
some existing document that hadn't been handled specially (Track Changes or
Versions) and see what its history was. There just isn't any such
information in the file unless some special feature is turned on beforehand.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman