Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default numbering the records printed in a mail merge

Is it possible to number the records in the order they are printed in a
Mail Merge without having the number in the data file?

Thanks,
Myrna

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

You may be able to use a { MERGESEQ } field but
a. it will only give the right number if you don't make individual record
selections
b. recently I've found it returns a blank in merge preview and only gives
the correct result when you merge.

Peter Jamieson
wrote in message
oups.com...
Is it possible to number the records in the order they are printed in a
Mail Merge without having the number in the data file?

Thanks,
Myrna

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Myrna

Where do I put the { MERGESEQ } field and where can I read more about this?
Thanks,
Myrna

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

You may be able to use a { MERGESEQ } field but
a. it will only give the right number if you don't make individual record
selections
b. recently I've found it returns a blank in merge preview and only gives
the correct result when you merge.

Peter Jamieson
wrote in message
oups.com...
Is it possible to number the records in the order they are printed in a
Mail Merge without having the number in the data file?

Thanks,
Myrna

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

Insert it where you need it in the document, eier from the Word fields
drop-down on the Mailmerge toolbar or by clicking ctrl-F9 to enter the {}
and typing MERGESEQ between the {}

Peter Jamieson

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

You may be able to use a { MERGESEQ } field but
a. it will only give the right number if you don't make individual
record
selections
b. recently I've found it returns a blank in merge preview and only
gives
the correct result when you merge.

Peter Jamieson
oups.com...