Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jackie

Default Table autoformats and paragraph styles

I'm creating a company template, and need to include a table autoformat/style
that defines the font and paragraph properties that each table should adopt.

I created a table Autoformat, and specified the correct font (trebuchet) and
paragraph properties (space before and after: 3pt) - the problem is that
these are never actually applied when I insert a new table - instead each new
table I insert picks up the paragraph style currently in use on the page
(usually Body Text, which has inappropriate spacing before/after).

So, at the moment I have to always adjust the cell para styles after
inserting the table each time - this is a problem because my template users
keep forgetting to make this change.

What's the best way to approach this problem?

(I have seen posts elsewhere that link the problem with a modified Normal
para style - I've tried setting that back to Word's default, but this doesn't
seem to help...)

Many thanks for your attention,

Jackie
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom

Hmm, if the paragraph style at the insertion point conflicts with the
paragraph formatting specified in the table style, I think the former
always "wins". Therefore, the best solution is probably to store an
example table (formatted the way you want it, with the proper
paragraph styles applied to the cell paragraphs) as an AutoText entry,
and teach users to insert the AutoText as needed.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Jackie" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
markf

I have encountered exactly the same problem that Jackie describes. So
far, my workaround is to define two styles: a Table Style and a Text
Style. Then 1) create a new table using the Table Style 2) select the
entire table 3) apply the Text Style that is associated with this
table.

Cumbersome - yes. Two steps instead of one. But it seems to be stable
across different documents. Of course it gets worse if your table
contains more than one text style.

MarkF
Office 2003 SP2
Windows XP Pro

"Jackie" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom

The advantage with an AutoText entry is that you can store the applied
styles and the table formatting together. But of course, the advantage
of table styles is that you can easily apply and modify table
formatting to tables in your document.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP