Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
CW

Default How to enter cell references in a table

There's tons of mind-boggling stuff in here about how to use cell references
for calculations in a table, which will be great...if only I knew how to
enter the refs in the cells in the first place!!!!
Nobody seems to cover that fundamental starting point. Word's inbuilt Help
doesn't either.
Please explain in simple terms - how do you assign and enter the cell
references within a table (Word 2002)???
Thank you!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod

Hi CW,

Cell addresses in Word follow the same convention as in Excel, Lotus etc.
That is, columns are designated A, B, C etc and rows are designated 1, 2, 3,
etc. To refer to a given cell, you refer to it as A1, A2, B1, B2, etc.

If you want to get the value of one cell and use it in another (eg to
multiply it by a value), the formula would be something like:
=A1*3
But! To get the formula to work, you need to encode it as a formula field.
Quite easy really - simply press Ctrl-F9 to create a pair of field braces,
which look like '{ }' and type your formula between them. When you're done,
press F9 to update it.

For more information on calculations in Word, check out my Word Field Maths
'tutorial', at:
http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/show...?Number=365442

Cheers

"CW" wrote in message
There's tons of mind-boggling stuff in here about how to use cell

references
for calculations in a table, which will be great...if only I knew how to
enter the refs in the cells in the first place!!!!
Nobody seems to cover that fundamental starting point. Word's inbuilt Help
doesn't either.
Please explain in simple terms - how do you assign and enter the cell
references within a table (Word 2002)???
Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom

Place the cursor inside a cell and, on the Table menu, click Formula.
After the equality sign, type in cell references. The references
should be written similar to those in a spreadsheet, where A, B, C,
etc. refers to columns and 1, 2, 3, etc. refers to rows. A1, for
example, refers to the the top-left cell, and A2 is the second cell in
the first column.

To sum the first five cells in the second column, you'd enter the
following formula in the dialog box: =SUM(B1:B5) and then click OK.

Or to sum the numbers of all cells above the current cell, you can
use:

=SUM(ABOVE)

When you add a formula like this, Word enters a formula field in the
current cell (if you prefer, you can insert the field manually; just
press Ctrl+F9 and type the instructions directly). Just like most
fields in Word, formula fields don't update automatically. To force an
update, you can select the current result and press F9.

A huge disadvantage is that you cannot see the column and row
references in Word. Carefully make sure that you refer to the correct
cell in your formulas! You actually get easier calculations in Word if
you embed an Excel spreadsheet (this is also suggested in Word Help).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"CW" wrote in message
There's tons of mind-boggling stuff in here about how to use cell

references
for calculations in a table, which will be great...if only I knew

how to
enter the refs in the cells in the first place!!!!
Nobody seems to cover that fundamental starting point. Word's

inbuilt Help
doesn't either.
Please explain in simple terms - how do you assign and enter the

cell
references within a table (Word 2002)???
Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Q1c=?=,

There's tons of mind-boggling stuff in here about how to use cell references
for calculations in a table, which will be great...if only I knew how to
enter the refs in the cells in the first place!!!!
Nobody seems to cover that fundamental starting point. Word's inbuilt Help
doesn't either.
Please explain in simple terms - how do you assign and enter the cell
references within a table (Word 2002)???

I'm not sure what you're asking... You mean you want to see "A", "B", etc.
across the top of the table and "1", "2", etc. down the side? If you see it, it
will print, you know that? Word is not Excel...

Microsoft used to supply a template named Macros.dot with a tool that told you
the cell reference of the currently selected cell, but they discontinued it a
few years ago. Here's a little macro that will tell you the column and row
index (numerical):

Sub ShowCellReference()
Dim rng As Word.Range

Set rng = Selection.Range
If rng.Information(wdWithInTable) Then
Application.StatusBar = "Col " & _
CStr(rng.Cells(1).ColumnIndex) & _
"; Row " & CStr(rng.Cells(1).RowIndex)
End If
End Sub

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Actually, Macros.dot (which includes the TableCellHelper macro) is still
available from http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...eIncorrect.htm and
Greg Maxey provides a more sophisticated tool at
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Table_Cell_Data.htm

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote in message
Hi ?B?Q1c=?=,

There's tons of mind-boggling stuff in here about how to use cell