Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
John Gregory

Default Hyperlinks in Tables

I'm getting the following message when I attempt to bring up a link within a
table: "Unable to open http://www.gmacbank.com/. Cannot locate the Internet
server or proxy server."

When I created this table a few weeks ago, I could not get any of my
inserted hyperlinks to activate by double-clicking them but they would open
using the "Open Hyperlink" menu.

Today I manipulated the table a tad by inserting a column then resizing
everything. After that, I had trouble with the hyperlinks. No mater what I
do - including deleting them and reentering them - I can can't get anything
to link from the table. Everything else on the computer works fine. I'm
accessing the net as I type this while looking at the last notice I received
from the Word table. I'm using Word 2003 (11.6568.6568) SP2

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
rajkohli

I think that you don't want to open that link while selecting it or
double-clicking on it. You can try changing when option see if this one helps
you:

1. click on Tools - Options
2. click on Edit tab.
3. Check "Use CTRL + Click to follow the hyperlink" if this is unchecked.

Let us know.

"John Gregory" wrote:

I'm getting the following message when I attempt to bring up a link within a
table: "Unable to open http://www.gmacbank.com/. Cannot locate the Internet
server or proxy server."

When I created this table a few weeks ago, I could not get any of my
inserted hyperlinks to activate by double-clicking them but they would open
using the "Open Hyperlink" menu.

Today I manipulated the table a tad by inserting a column then resizing
everything. After that, I had trouble with the hyperlinks. No mater what I
do - including deleting them and reentering them - I can can't get anything
to link from the table. Everything else on the computer works fine. I'm
accessing the net as I type this while looking at the last notice I received
from the Word table. I'm using Word 2003 (11.6568.6568) SP2

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
John Gregory

I was unaware of the need to hold down the Cntrl key. Nonetheless, that
didn't have a bearing on the problem; there appears to be an inability to
find a server. I tried inserting a hypertext link into an Excel spreadsheet
and everything works fine. I've been doing this for years but suddenly -
just with WORD - this message began appearing.

I was wondering if it could have something to do with an autofill type
function. I did recently check "smart cursoring" I believe just to learn
what it does. I haven't seen a benefit as yet; the little box pops up from
time to time when I type something it finds in my address book but I never
want to use it. If that's all there is, I'll probably turn it off.

Aside form that change, the only other one I can think of is I added BCM
(Business Contact Manager) to Outlook. I DON'T connect to that SQL server
that one can get involved with if one chooses; there's only me here. I'm
exploring the other functions of BCM and have found application for several
so I plan to continue using it. There may be some possible link here between
Word and BCM and that SQL server. I really don't know enough about that
since I had no need to get involved. Perhaps when BCM was installed, it
threw some switch anticipating I would be exchanging documents through the
service and something got stuck or I failed to "notify" Word somehow that I
wouldn't be using that channel.

I'm stumped. I can hyperlink in Excel fine and I've done so in the past in
Word as well. This is a very recent development. I've run antivirus checks
and I'm clean.