Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jim

Default Wicked TOC problem!! Please Help. Word 2000/WinXP Pro

Good Morning All, I spent several hours yesterday trying to get this to work.

I created a TOC from multiple docs using the { RD "c:\\file" } field for
each of the external docs at the top of the TOC doc.

If I generate the TOC with the external docs closed, the TOC comes up
looking normal (with the correct entries and page numbers of the external
doc), but the hyperlinks don't work. There is no "hand" when I dwell on the
entries and nothing happens when I click on one. There is only one resulting
field that says {TOC \o "1-3 \h\z\t "Heading 4,3,Heading 5,3,FMtitle,1" }

If I generate the TOC with the external document open, the hyperlinks work
and take me to the correct place in the target document, but the page numbers
display "Error! Bookmark not defined". There are two resulting fields for
each entry in that case: for the error part/page number half of each entry
there is {PAGEREF _Toc123456789 \h }, and the heading and section number half
of each entry says {HYPERLINK "C:\\FILE" \l"_Toc123456789 \h }

When I update the already generated TOC, the result is the same as above
depending on whether I have the target doc(s) open or closed when I update.

I need to be able to create a stand-alone TOC doc that references 12 other
documents, where the hypers work, AND the page numbers are properly
displayed. Right now I can only get one or the other.

Thank you for any help.....ANYONE PLEASE??

--
Jim Hull
Technical Writer
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Replied to duplicate question in another group.

Cindy Meister