Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob

Default Doc management, workflow or job tracking?

I want to keep track of files that go with a job. I get a job in and
there are lots of files that flow in over time and change or are
replaced: quality control files, CAD files, spreadsheets, P.O.s, etc. I
want to be able to find these files by: job-num, date, part-num,
invoice-num, etc...

Is this document management?
Workflow?
Job tracking?

Workflow seems wrong: it's all about publishing (google "workflow", see
what I mean). Document Management seems wrong: it's all about scanning
and archiving. Job tracking seems wrong: it's about time and billing.
So, what is it? That's my first step.

I also want all this on a server/networked so others have access to it,
not just me.

I could just make a folder structure on our file server, and have a
folder for each job. I could name the folders with their job number.
That's close, but that doesn't allow me to find a specific job folder
quickly or easily by anything other than the job number.

Thanks for any ideas.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

There are 'Document Management' applications around that do exactly what you
describe. It's surprisingly hard to do well, particularly if the documents
have legal or commercial significance, and the robust applications are
commensurately expensive.

There are web-based document- or information-management systems (eg
SharePoint) that do much the same thing. Their focus is on the delivery of
the documents rather than their storage; but essentially the same outcome.

Workflow and job-tracking are business systems that entail document
archiving, but that's not their primary objective.

"Bob" wrote in message
[...]

Jimboscope Jimboscope is offline
Junior Member

I realize this is an old topic, but I would like to say that CRM means customer relationship management. It is a system that helps you manage customer interactions, track their information, and optimize your business processes. With a CRM system, you can centralize customer data, improve customer service, increase sales and marketing efficiency, and make data-driven decisions. You can even implement automation in crm (https://planfix.com/features/automation/) to improve project management efficiency, increase team productivity and reduce the time employees spend on routine work. Anyway, good luck to you, and all the best.

Last edited by Jimboscope : May 24th 23 at 12:27 PM
Margaret9121 Margaret9121 is offline
Junior Member

The importance of owning a laptop under $700 cannot be overstated. With this budget, you can get a laptop that offers a perfect balance of performance and affordability. best laptop for quickbooks