Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jack Gillis

Default Printing Lables

Word 2003
Brother HL1440 Printer or HP Photosmart.
Avery 5383 Labels

I set up a mail merge from Excel to print about 100 name tags. I wanted to
preview the print job on plain paper (8 1/2 X 11) before printing on the
actual label stock.

The paper tray had lots of paper but when I ran the print job, the printer
only printed the first page and then stopped. This is true for both the
Brother and the HP.

However if I started the print job and fed individual sheets in through the
manual slot on the Brother, the job completed properly. I am happy to say
the labels came out just as I expected.

I then set the label option up so that the paper source was the tray rather
than the manual slot. That didn't help. Only the first sheet was printed
again. It is curious to me that when I chose Print Preview, only the first
sheet is presented, not the whole job.

Anyway, is there a way to make the Brother finish the complete job from the
tray so that I don't have to feed all the sheets in through the manual slot?

Thank you very much.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Have you actually executed the merge? Sounds like you might just be
printing the preview of the results.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Jack Gillis" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jack Gillis

Thank you.

Oh yes, I have executed the merge. As I said, I can print all the labels
if I feed the sheets in one at a time through the manual slot.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor

Set the page setup options of the merge document not to print from the
manual feed (file page setup paper paper source)

Jack Gillis wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jack Gillis

Thank you, Graham.

I tried all the paper source options (Default tray, Auto Select, Tray 1 and
Manual) and still get only the first page printed. What puzzles me also is
that Print Preview only shows page 1 even when I've changed the view option
to show 2x3 pages.

Thanks again.

Jack Gillis wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor

Print preview of what? It sounds like you are viewing the merge source
document and have not completed the merge. You will only see more than one
page if you merge to a new document.
See http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm

Jack Gillis wrote:
Thank you.

Oh yes, I have executed the merge. As I said, I can print all the
labels if I feed the sheets in one at a time through the manual
slot. "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote in
message
Have you actually executed the merge? Sounds like you might just
be printing the preview of the results.

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my services on a paid consulting basis.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jack Gillis

I completed the merge for sure. All the labels contain the information in
the data source and I can print them all out if I use the manual feed slot.

Jack Gillis wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

I still reckon that you have not actually executed the merge. Your comment
about being able to "cycle through all the labels using the tool bar." is a
dead give-away.

--

Jack Gillis wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jack Gillis

I understand where you are coming from. I repeated the Mail Merge process
and made doubly sure I 'finished the merge' (Step 5 of 6). Still no feed
from the tray.

I am resigned to hand feeding each sheet. I know that works.

Thanks for trying.

Jack Gillis wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor

What about step 6? Select 'Edit individual letters'. This will create a new
document containing all your records.
Merging is much easier if you follow the procedure at

Jack Gillis wrote:
Thank you.

Oh yes, I have executed the merge. As I said, I can print all
the labels if I feed the sheets in one at a time through the
manual slot. "Doug Robbins - Word MVP"
wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jack Gillis

OK, Graham. I will give that link a try and see what happens. Since I have
the manual workaround I probably won't spend too much more time on this.

If I haven't said so before, I will now. Thank you very much for your
interest and help in this endeavor.

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
NNTP

ok

wrote in message
[...]

Lables not printing correctly MarieB Microsoft Word Help 4 May 14th 07 02:27 PM
duplex printing on Xerox Fiery X12 (DocuColor 12) penciline Microsoft Word Help 3 January 29th 06 10:36 PM
Lables printing VictorGr Mailmerge 1 July 5th 05 02:01 PM
Mail Merge Lables slackin Mailmerge 2 April 20th 05 04:37 PM
printing a sheet of lables using all different addresses Bjo New Users 1 December 17th 04 05:50 AM