Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
SteveK

Default Filename in Footer - update automatically?

I have placed a FileName field in the footer of a template file. When I
start a document it gives it the name document1 (or document2) but when I do
a Save and give the file a name the Filename field in the footer doesn't get
updated with the new name. To update the filename in the footer's field I
have to View Header and Footer select the footer select the text n the
Filename field and right click and then Update Field. Isn't there a
way for this to happen automatically?

Thanks,
SteveK

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
ivanwalsh

Hi Steve,

try this:

You can update all fields in a document each time you print it.

Click Options on the Tools menu

Click the Print tab, and then select the Update fields check box.

does this help?

Ivan

www.ivanwalsh.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Charles Kenyon

Take a look at
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/File_Name_And_Path.htm.

Hope this helps,
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.
"SteveK" wrote in message
I have placed a FileName field in the footer of a template file. When I
start a document it gives it the name document1 (or document2) but when I
do a Save and give the file a name the Filename field in the footer doesn't
get updated with the new name. To update the filename in the footer's
field I have to View Header and Footer select the footer select the
text n the Filename field and right click and then Update Field.
Isn't there a way for this to happen automatically?

Thanks,
SteveK

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
SteveK

Thanks. I will do this - and also do the other suggestion posted for a
macro.

STeve

"ivanwalsh" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Steve,

try this:

You can update all fields in a document each time you print it.

Click Options on the Tools menu

Click the Print tab, and then select the Update fields check box.

does this help?

Ivan

www.ivanwalsh.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
SteveK

I've added the Saveas macro listed on that page to my macros that always
load. I also made one that runs with Save. It works.

Thanks,
Steve

"SteveK" wrote in message
I have placed a FileName field in the footer of a template file. When I
start a document it gives it the name document1 (or document2) but when I
do a Save and give the file a name the Filename field in the footer
doesn't get updated with the new name. To update the filename in the
footer's field I have to View Header and Footer select the footer
select the text n the Filename field and right click and then Update
Field. Isn't there a way for this to happen automatically?

Thanks,
SteveK

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
TF

Switch to Print Preview and then back to Print Layout View.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"SteveK" wrote in message
:I have placed a FileName field in the footer of a template file. When I
: start a document it gives it the name document1 (or document2) but when I
do
: a Save and give the file a name the Filename field in the footer doesn't
get
: updated with the new name. To update the filename in the footer's field I
: have to View Header and Footer select the footer select the text n
the
: Filename field and right click and then Update Field. Isn't there a
: way for this to happen automatically?
:
: Thanks,
: SteveK