Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
David

Default Lost spell checking

Recently I did a re-install of everything, XP SP2, programs, the lot, including Word 97. Now I find that the
Spelling/Grammar tab in Options is grayed out. I have tried using the original CD to repair the installation but that
didn't change anything.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

David
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tom Ferguson

First, insert the Word CD CD and re-run the setup routine. Select a
custom install and make sure the option to install the spelling and
grammar checker are selected.

Tom
MSMVP
Windows Shell/User

:
: Any suggestions much appreciated.
:
: David

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor

Try renaming the settings sub key of the Word data key in the registry to
oldsettings - see http://www.gmayor.com/my_toolbars_are_missing.htm - with
Word closed, then restart Word. Corruption of this key will not be fixed by
re-installing.

David wrote:
Recently I did a re-install of everything, XP SP2, programs, the lot,
including Word 97. Now I find that the Spelling/Grammar tab in
Options is grayed out. I have tried using the original CD to repair
the installation but that didn't change anything.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

David

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
garfield-n-odie [MVP]

See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=257643 "WD97: Spelling,
Grammar Not Available in Word Running on Window 2000 or Windows XP".

David wrote:
Recently I did a re-install of everything, XP SP2, programs, the lot, including Word 97. Now I find that the
Spelling/Grammar tab in Options is grayed out. I have tried using the original CD to repair the installation but that
didn't change anything.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

David

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
David

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 01:53:44 -0700, "garfield-n-odie [MVP]"
wrote:

See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=257643 "WD97: Spelling,
Grammar Not Available in Word Running on Window 2000 or Windows XP".

Recently I did a re-install of everything, XP SP2, programs, the lot, including Word 97. Now I find that the
Spelling/Grammar tab in Options is grayed out. I have tried using the original CD to repair the installation but that
didn't change anything.

Thanks to you all, I tried Tom's suggestion first and it worked a
charm. Now I can see all the typos I've made over the last couple of
weeks!

David

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tom Ferguson

I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say I'm glad one of our suggestions
fixed your problem.

Tom
MSMVP
Windows Shell/User