Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Language and defaults

Hi all

Have just bought a new machine with XP home on and have successfully (I
hope) installed Word 2000. I am having a problem with language. I am in
Australia and wish to use the English Australian dictionary. If I select
that via tools | language and then select it then click on default it asks
the normal 'do you confim', and then on leaving the document it asks if I
want to save to normal.dot (I've opted to be asked each time). But then on
(and as shown on the bottom). What am I dping wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Hi Jay

I still think you should try the Vegemite!

Yes, that is the solution and thanks very much. Actually, I did nut it out
myself while waiting. It is indeed the Regional setting under control panel
in XP, and now that's fixed. I had another very odd error, which I've
solved. In my custom.dic I have two versions of a name (one with a capital
and one without). It kept refusing to accept the second in text documents
and then I realised - it was objecting to the duplication! And anyway, it
shouldn't accept without a capital and so I'll take that out of custom.dic.
Incidentally, I've sent a copy of both the exclusion file and the custom
dictionary to the desktop, where I can edit them directly under Notepad.
Hope that will not create problems.

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
You probably have a mismatch between the keyboard setting and the Word
setting. Try Cindy's procedure at
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/LangFmt.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

wrote:
Hi all

Have just bought a new machine with XP home on and have successfully
(I hope) installed Word 2000. I am having a problem with language. I
am in Australia and wish to use the English Australian dictionary. If I
select that via tools | language and then select it then click
on default it asks the normal 'do you confim', and then on leaving
the document it asks if I want to save to normal.dot (I've opted to
be asked each time). But then on loading Word the next time it is
always back to the US English spellcheck (and as shown on the
bottom). What am I dping wrong?