Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Larry Larry is offline

Default Searching for either a character or no character

Let's say I want to search for all instances of "its" and "it's" in a document. I could do that with two searches, one for "its" and one for "it's." But can I search for them with one search? For that I would need search parameters that would be either one character (the apostrophe) or no character. I don't see any way in Word to do that.

It would need to be something like this:

it['[no character]]s

I use Word 97.

Thanks.
Larry
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Search for
[Ii]t['s]{1,2}
or
it['s]{1,2}
with the wildcard option set -
http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm

Larry wrote:
Let's say I want to search for all instances of "its" and "it's" in a
document. I could do that with two searches, one for "its" and one
for "it's." But can I search for them with one search? For that I
would need search parameters that would be either one character (the
apostrophe) or no character. I don't see any way in Word to do that.

It would need to be something like this:

it['[no character]]s

I use Word 97.

Thanks.
Larry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Larry Larry is offline

Thank you. Clever. It would never have occurred to me to combine the [xy] syntax with the {1,2} syntax.

I also want to find occurrences of the word that have smart apostophes, so I added the smart apostrophe and also added the end of word mark:

[Ii]t['’s]{1,2}

Now a single search stops at every possible form of its and it's:

it's and it’s and It's and It’s and its and Its.

Thanks again.

Larry

Larry wrote:
Let's say I want to search for all instances of "its" and "it's" in a
document. I could do that with two searches, one for "its" and one
for "it's." But can I search for them with one search? For that I
would need search parameters that would be either one character (the
apostrophe) or no character. I don't see any way in Word to do that.

It would need to be something like this:

it['[no character]]s

I use Word 97.

Thanks.
Larry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bob S Bob S is offline

Nice trick!

Before you turn it loose replacing things in your document, be aware
that it will also hit "it'd" and "it'll" if they happen to be present.

Bob S

On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 07:48:03 +0300, Graham Mayor wrote:

Search for
[Ii]t['s]{1,2}
or
it['s]{1,2}
with the wildcard option set -
http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm

Wood 2002 remove character style and revert to paragraph style Nimbus Page Layout 3 March 6th 06 09:36 AM
International Keyboard mike New Users 2 January 23rd 06 12:41 AM
Use of Character styles Sverre Medalen Microsoft Word Help 8 August 25th 05 01:54 PM
Searching for a character Dave Neve Microsoft Word Help 1 June 22nd 05 02:22 PM
How do you end or "turn off" a character style while entering text Larry Root Microsoft Word Help 3 April 25th 05 03:29 PM