Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Robert M Jones Robert M Jones is offline

Default W2003 - booklet printing with manual duplex

HP Deskjet 710C, using the Windows XP (Home) driver and manual duplex
box ticked in Word print dialog. There is no HP Deskjet driver that will
work with XP.

printing an A5 booklet on A4 paper, using the Word booklet option in
page setup - I have tried all sorts of setups but every time the booklet
prints with the reverse pages in the wrong order and I have worked out
that I have to re-order the sheets of paper before loading them into my
printer for the second run.

I have tried various combinations for the Front and Back tick boxes -
one clear, both clear, one ticked, both ticked, but they either have no
effect on the "reversed" arrangement or result in just one page of a 16
page booklet printing.
Collate makes no difference.

Is it possible for Word 2003 to print my booklets on my printer without
me having to manually reorder the paper before feeding it back in?
Many thanks.
--
Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Have you tried checking "Reverse print order" before printing the second
side?

Thank you Suzanne ( I did check your excellent site first BTW and the
article on booklet printing).
I'm not sure I can do that - all I have on screen at that stage is the
reminder to reload the tray for the second side - the print dialog has
disappeared by then and clicking anything other than that message box is
not allowed.
Where would I be making that setting "Reverse print order" and could I
access it after printing one side?

The collate command made no difference.
Front pages on top/Back pages on top - tried all combinations with weird
results - none worked. Every combination either resulted in a booklet
with the reverse sides in the wrong order, OR just an interrrupted print
with only one booklet page printed on one half of one side of one page
and then the print job finishing (not hanging - finishing).

I'm afraid I am new to XP, new to this XP (degraded) HP Deskjet 710C
printer driver and also new to Word 2003 so all the steep learning
curves are making me fall over. (Win98SE and Word 97 come back, all is
forgiven)

I've got my workaround of just re-collating the sheets manually between
the two halves of the job - but something is obviously not right if I
have to do that.

If its any consolation - I couldn't get Publisher 97 to do the job
either - and on my Win98SE/Office 97/Pub 97 setup that was how I used to
do booklets. I was hoping Office/Word 2003 could handle the job.

--
Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
Free trial of Mailwasher Pro - effective email spam filter - (commission
goes to our partners in Bulgaria)
http://fta.firetrust.com/index.cgi?id=420
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You're describing why I don't try to use the "Book fold" feature. If you
still had the Print dialog, you could click on Options... to change the
print order, but it seems that's out of the question. What I can suggest is
that you print the pages single-sided, then use a copier to duplex them.
There's probably some better solution, and perhaps someone else will provide
it, but I don't know it.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
You're describing why I don't try to use the "Book fold" feature. If you
still had the Print dialog, you could click on Options... to change the
print order, but it seems that's out of the question. What I can suggest is
that you print the pages single-sided, then use a copier to duplex them.
There's probably some better solution, and perhaps someone else will provide
it, but I don't know it.

Thanks anyway. It looks like the bookfold is "broken" with my particular
printer set up. I'll stick with my workarond.