Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Ldyflyr Ldyflyr is offline

Default Page Numbering

I have a doucment with four sections (all of which have section breaks).

The first section is using page numbers i, ii etc.

The second section is using page numbers 1 of 10, 2 of 10 etc (I am using
the SECTIONPAGE) command.

I want the third and fourth sections to be combined for page numbering. So
if there are 10 pages in section 3 and 5 pages in section 4, I want the page
numbering to be 1 of 15, 2 of 15 etc all the way to 15 of 15.

How do I make that happen? I need the section break because the first 10
pages (section 3) are portrait and the next 5 pages (section 4) are landscape.

Thanks,
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi

One way to do this is to generate the "15" using some other kind of field,
which refers to something on the last page of the document.

If you have a convenient heading that you know will be on the last page,
then you can use a cross-reference to the page number of the heading (Insert
Reference. Set Reference Type to "Heading" and Insert Reference To to

"page number".

If you don't have a convenient heading, try inserting a bookmark around the
last words or the last paragraph of the document, and create a reference to
its page number.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Ldyflyr" wrote in message
I have a doucment with four sections (all of which have section breaks).

The first section is using page numbers i, ii etc.

The second section is using page numbers 1 of 10, 2 of 10 etc (I am using
the SECTIONPAGE) command.

I want the third and fourth sections to be combined for page numbering. So
if there are 10 pages in section 3 and 5 pages in section 4, I want the
page
numbering to be 1 of 15, 2 of 15 etc all the way to 15 of 15.

How do I make that happen? I need the section break because the first 10
pages (section 3) are portrait and the next 5 pages (section 4) are
landscape.

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Ldyflyr Ldyflyr is offline

Shauna:

I am not really sure how many pages I will end up with in each section. I am
still editing the document. I could use your idea at the very end, but was
hoping for some dynamic way to link the sections so they could be combined.

Thanks,

"Ldyflyr" wrote in message
I have a doucment with four sections (all of which have section breaks).

The first section is using page numbers i, ii etc.

The second section is using page numbers 1 of 10, 2 of 10 etc (I am using
the SECTIONPAGE) command.

I want the third and fourth sections to be combined for page numbering. So
if there are 10 pages in section 3 and 5 pages in section 4, I want the
page
numbering to be 1 of 15, 2 of 15 etc all the way to 15 of 15.

How do I make that happen? I need the section break because the first 10
pages (section 3) are portrait and the next 5 pages (section 4) are
landscape.

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Margaret Aldis Margaret Aldis is offline

I think you've misunderstood - the "15" or whatever isn't hard-wired - it's
a dynamic reference to the last page of the document, wherever that may be.
The only issue is what to choose for the reference, to make sure it will
still be on the last page after editing. Perhaps you could put a hidden text
note at the end of the document and reference that - if you edit with
non-printing characters showing (always a good policy) you won't
accidentally add text over or beyond it. Put it in a dummy heading style
(Heading 9 or something you don't use) and you'll avoid the dangers of
getting additional text trapped into a bookmark.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP