Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Scott Meyers Scott Meyers is offline

Default Table/Caption Confusion

I wanted to create an image with a caption, so I created a table with one column
and two rows, put the image in the top cell and the caption in the lower cell.
At least that's what I think I did. I don't remember for sure any more, and I
can't decipher what Word is showing me. (Please remember that this is a
newsgroup for new users :-}) I do know that I have a table (because I can get
table properties for the image, though not for the caption) and that the table
has no caption (because choosing "caption..." shows no text), so I know I'm not
using Word's innate caption feature for tables.

What confuses me is that in web layout view, the caption appears below the
image, just as I want. You can see what I see here, where the text at the top
is the last line of the preceding paragraph:

http://www.aristeia.com/Personal/web...out%20view.jpg

However, when I switch to print layout view, the caption appears above the
image, as shown he

http://www.aristeia.com/Personal/pri...out%20view.jpg

Can anybody help me figure out what I've done and how to get Word to always put
the caption text below the image?

Thanks,

Scott

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Click on the picture itself, which should display the Picture toolbar. Click
on the Text Wrapping button (dog icon) and make sure that the wrapping is
set to In Line With Text. That will ensure that the picture is actually in
the table cell and not in front of or behind it. It then cannot wander from
its position above the caption.

"Scott Meyers" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Click on the picture itself, which should display the Picture toolbar. Click
on the Text Wrapping button (dog icon) and make sure that the wrapping is
set to In Line With Text. That will ensure that the picture is actually in
the table cell and not in front of or behind it. It then cannot wander from
its position above the caption.

This results in no change in behavior. The position of the caption still
changes depending on whether I'm using web view or print view.

Other ideas?

Thanks,

Scott
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

In Table | Table Properties, Table tab, try setting the "Text
wrapping" to "None."

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Click on the picture itself, which should display the Picture

toolbar. Click
on the Text Wrapping button (dog icon) and make sure that the

wrapping is
set to In Line With Text. That will ensure that the picture is

actually in
the table cell and not in front of or behind it. It then cannot

wander from
its position above the caption.

This results in no change in behavior. The position of the caption

still
changes depending on whether I'm using web view or print view.

Other ideas?

Thanks,

Scott

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Stefan Blom wrote:
In Table | Table Properties, Table tab, try setting the "Text
wrapping" to "None."

It's already set that way.

I think what I have is a table with two rows and one column. Is there some way
for me to confirm this? If that's not what I have, I may be barking completely
up the wrong tree.

Thanks,

Scott

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

You can use the TableCellHelper macro (or Greg's variant) to determine this.
See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...eIncorrect.htm or
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Table_Cell_Data.htm

Stefan Blom wrote:
In Table | Table Properties, Table tab, try setting the "Text
wrapping" to "None."

It's already set that way.

I think what I have is a table with two rows and one column. Is there

some way
for me to confirm this? If that's not what I have, I may be barking

completely
up the wrong tree.

Thanks,

Scott

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Here's a way to confirm you are in fact seeing just one table: Place
the cursor inside the table. On the Table menu, click Select, and then
click Table. Is everything that appears to be a single table now
selected? If not, there could be multiple tables, and you need to
check the text wrapping for all of them.

Another possibility is that the document has frames. With the cursor
inside the object, look for a Frame command at the bottom of the
Format menu.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Stefan Blom wrote:
In Table | Table Properties, Table tab, try setting the "Text
wrapping" to "None."

It's already set that way.

I think what I have is a table with two rows and one column. Is

there some way
for me to confirm this? If that's not what I have, I may be barking

completely
up the wrong tree.

Thanks,

Scott

Top Margin Confusion Karen Microsoft Word Help 3 July 18th 06 05:24 AM
Cell border confusion after cells are merged Hack Tables 5 February 22nd 06 02:30 PM
Track and Merge Changes Confusion Chris Microsoft Word Help 1 February 16th 06 03:12 PM
Style confusion Colleen E New Users 11 February 2nd 06 05:55 PM
Table AutoFormats vs. Table Styles confusion Tony Jollans Tables 5 March 6th 05 08:18 PM