Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
GY2 GY2 is offline

Default TOC question

My Table of Contents section heading is formatted with a Heading 1 Style so
"Table of Contents" shows up as a TOC entry when I set it up automatically.
Can I keep it out of the TOC while still formatting it with a Heading Style?

I appreciate all help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Well, there are at least two other approaches you can take:

1. Give your TOC Head style an outline level of 1. It will appear in the
Document Map, but it will also appear in the TOC by default; you'll have to
remove the 1 beside it in the TOC Options to omit it.

2. If you want the TOC in the Document Map to make it easy to get to AND if
you have Word 2003 (and maybe 2002), you can add a Go To TOC button to the
toolbar using Tools | Customize. Note that this works well for ordinary TOCs
built on styles or outline levels but does not work if your TOC includes
entries based on TC fields. It also might be problematic if a document
contains more than one TOC.

"GY2" wrote in message
Thanks again for your help, Suzanne. I must say this idea occurred to me but
I disgarded it before I asked for help because a TOC line won't appear in
the Document Map unless it is formatted with a Heading style, but I guess
that's not the end of the world.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Create a TOC Head style identical to (but not based on) Heading 1 and use
that for the TOC title.

so
all may benefit.

"GY2" wrote in message
My Table of Contents section heading is formatted with a Heading 1 Style

so
"Table of Contents" shows up as a TOC entry when I set it up

automatically.
Can I keep it out of the TOC while still formatting it with a Heading

Style?

I appreciate all help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
GY2 GY2 is offline

Wow! Now you're talking! #1 is perfect.

I have 2003 and an ordinary TOC so #2 should also work, but #1 is closer to
elegance, no?

"GY2" wrote in message
My Table of Contents section heading is formatted with a Heading 1 Style

so
"Table of Contents" shows up as a TOC entry when I set it up

automatically.
Can I keep it out of the TOC while still formatting it with a Heading

Style?

I appreciate all help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Once you have the TOC set up to omit the TOC Head style, yes, it should work
better for you (and on any machine, whereas the button would be present only
on your own customized one).

Since you seem to be open to TOC tips and tricks, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm

"GY2" wrote in message
[...]

newsgroup
so