Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Geoff Cox Geoff Cox is offline

Default Linking PowerPoint file from Word

Hello,

I have made a link to a PowerPoint file from Word using
Insert/Object/Create from file/Display as icon etc. This works OK but
leaves the Word doc open.

Is there any way of closing the Word file after selecting the link?

VBA would be no use as I am putting the files onto a CD and then using
PowerPoint Viewer which does not support macros.

Cheers

Geoff
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi Geoff,

I have made a link to a PowerPoint file from Word using
Insert/Object/Create from file/Display as icon etc. This works OK but
leaves the Word doc open.

Is there any way of closing the Word file after selecting the link?

By clicking the Close button...

There's certainly no automatic way, short of VBA.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Geoff Cox Geoff Cox is offline

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 21:55:56 +0200, Cindy M -WordMVP-
wrote:

Hi Geoff,

I have made a link to a PowerPoint file from Word using
Insert/Object/Create from file/Display as icon etc. This works OK but
leaves the Word doc open.

Is there any way of closing the Word file after selecting the link?

By clicking the Close button...

ah ah! I guess I should have added that when the Word doc is accessed
from a PowerPoint slide and the use then selects the link to a ppt
file, you can no longer see the Word doc.

Cheers

Geoff

There's certainly no automatic way, short of VBA.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi Geoff,

ah ah! I guess I should have added that when the Word doc is accessed
from a PowerPoint slide and the use then selects the link to a ppt
file, you can no longer see the Word doc.

Yeah, that would have made a difference in my answer :-) Now I have to
ask you

1. Version of Office

2. The exact steps for this scenario, so that we can try to reproduce
it

3. Whether you've asked this in a powerpoint group already, in case
someone there has experience with the scenario

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Geoff Cox Geoff Cox is offline

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 15:57:28 +0200, Cindy M -WordMVP-
wrote:

Hi Geoff,

ah ah! I guess I should have added that when the Word doc is accessed
from a PowerPoint slide and the use then selects the link to a ppt
file, you can no longer see the Word doc.

Yeah, that would have made a difference in my answer :-) Now I have to
ask you

1. Version of Office

Cindy,

PowerPoint 2003

2. The exact steps for this scenario, so that we can try to reproduce
it

well - I have a series of ppt files which act as menus - they have
hyperlinks on them which link to ppt files. One of these might have a
link to a Word doc. The Word doc has a link to a ppt file. Double
clicking on this link runs the ppt file but the Word file can no
longer be seen and is left open.

one option of course is to make a link in the ppt file back to the
Word doc and then it can be closed in the normal way but I was just
wondering it there is any way to close the Word doc automatically
after the user has moved to the linked ppt file?

NB this is using the Viewer not PPT itself.

Cheers

Geoff

3. Whether you've asked this in a powerpoint group already, in case
someone there has experience with the scenario

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Geoff,

Not easily reproducible... Have you asked this in a Powerpoint group,
where the people would be more likely to have all the "bits and pieces"
necessary to research this?

I can't imagine why the Word application window would completely disappear
from the Windows UI, just by clicking a hyperlink. Hidden by starting a
slide show, yes. But there might be something about the PPT technology
involved in everything you're doing that's coming into play here.