Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Siuan Siuan is offline

Default Index ?? Word 2007

I'm a new user working in Word 2007. I'm working in a very large and growing
document that needs and Index badly.

I've figured out how to Create one and how to mark the selected text
individually but I'm wondering if there is a way to set up a "Master List" of
thing you want marked.

This would ensure that I don't miss an important entry.

As always, you're help is greatly appreciated

--
Siuan
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Siuan Siuan is offline

Another question... In an earlier post someone recommended using AutoText to
add custom index fields. This sounds helpful but I don't understand what
AutoText is.

Thanks again.
--
Siuan

"Siuan" wrote:

I'm a new user working in Word 2007. I'm working in a very large and growing
document that needs and Index badly.

I've figured out how to Create one and how to mark the selected text
individually but I'm wondering if there is a way to set up a "Master List" of
thing you want marked.

This would ensure that I don't miss an important entry.

As always, you're help is greatly appreciated

--
Siuan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?U2l1YW4=?=,

I'm a new user working in Word 2007. I'm working in a very large and growing
document that needs and Index badly.

I've figured out how to Create one and how to mark the selected text
individually but I'm wondering if there is a way to set up a "Master List" of
thing you want marked.

This would ensure that I don't miss an important entry.

Well, it is possible to use what's termed a "Concordance" to generate an Index.
This is a two-column table of "search term" and "index term". You create that in
a Word document, save it, then reference it via the "AutoMark" button (click
"Insert Index").

Most professionals don't like this method of creating an index because not all
entries found are relevant. I see it's not mentioned in the Word 2007 Help,
either...

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?U2l1YW4=?=,

In an earlier post someone recommended using AutoText to
add custom index fields. This sounds helpful but I don't understand what
AutoText is.

AutoText is a store of "useful items" you'd like to add regularly to your
documents.

In Word 2007: Select the thing you want to re-use. Insert Tab, TExt chunk,
click QuickParts, choose "Save selection to Quick Part gallery".

In the "Create New Building Block" dialog box, give it a name, select the
Gallery type, assign a category, if you wish, add a Description, choose
where you want to save it, and how you want it inserted (Options).

Since a lot of these things are new, you may want to experiment a bit until
you decide what settings are ideal for you.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Siuan Siuan is offline

Thanks for all your help. This site is a almost a life saver...well...saves
my hair anyway.

--
Siuan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

It will not prevent said saved hairs from turning grey tho. :-(

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Siuan" wrote in message
Thanks for all your help. This site is a almost a life
saver...well...saves
my hair anyway.

--
Siuan