Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jessica Jessica is offline

Default "no list" style

What is the "no list" style and what does it do?

I've checked around and can't find any definition or information.

Thanks,

Jessica
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

It basically removes numbering or bullets from paragraphs in a list. List
styles in general are chancy and poorly documented, and it is better to set
up an outline-numbered list properly (as described at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html) and use
unnumbered/unbulleted styles (such as the List Continue series) for
intervening paragraphs.

"Jessica" wrote in message
What is the "no list" style and what does it do?

I've checked around and can't find any definition or information.

Thanks,

Jessica

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jessica Jessica is offline

Thanks, Suzanne. As you suggest, I don't use the list styles except for List
Continue. I was hoping that "no list" did something useful, but if it is
associated with the list styles it certainly won't.

- Jessica

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

To clarify, when I say "list styles," I am not referring to the List Number
and List Bullet series, which are quite useful when linked to a properly
defined outline-numbered list. What I'm referring to is the styles listed on
the List Styles tab of Format | Bullets and Numbering. These appear to be
used to apply outline numbering to paragraphs in a given style such that you
can demote/promote the numbering level without changing the actual style.

Something similar happens, I believe, when you apply one of the built-in
outline-numbered lists to, say, Normal, as direct formatting. You end up
with some Normal paragraphs that are body text and some that are Level 1,
Level 2, etc. You could have a whole document in no style but Normal (as
many users do, of course). I shudder to think...