Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Chris Wallace Chris Wallace is offline

Default Landscape Orientation

I also suffer from the same problem reported by "Frustrated" in part 4 of the
question posted 11/17/2004. It is indeed most irritating when preparing or
receiving reports compiled in either MS Word or MS Excel, containing both
landscape and portrait pages, to find the landscape pages oriented
incorrectly, so that the page headings appear on the right (relative to the
portrait pages) instead of the left.

Before making a large number of bound copies of a report, I have to remember
to extract all the landscape pages and rotate them by 180 deg. before
replacing.

I have followed Suzanne Barnhill's reply, but no change in Microsoft or HP's
settings or options has had any effect. Can Suzanne or anyone elaborate with
more explicit guidance, e.g. which printers or drivers give the correct
orientation? I am currently using HP Deskjet 995 and HP Officejet 5610, but
all printers I have used seem to have this "feature". HP have so far been
unable to help.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

1. The problem here may be a result of the problem described in (2). You may
not be unlinking the right sections.

2. There *is* a section 3, but it is probably a Continuous section that has
no header or footer. If you've changed the number of columns, that could be
one reason for it. It's easier to see section breaks in Normal view. You can
deal with numbering problems in Continuous sections through Insert | Page
Numbers | Format, and "Link to Previous" shouldn't be an issue because the
section you want to unlink is the following (landscape) one.

3. I'm not sure I understand the question.

4. The proper orientation of landscape pages is with the top always to the
left (outside on verso pages, inside on recto pages). Some printers get this
right; others don't. Sometimes a different printer driver or a different
setting in Word's Print Options dialog will help.

For further help in dealing with landscape sections, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...apeSection.htm

"Frustrated" wrote in message
Hi all:

I've got several questions on a short doc I've been asked to edit (its

about
60 pages long).

Please keep in mind that I'm trying to format a document converted from

Word
2003 to Word 97 so I can work with it in Word 2000.... I'm sure that has
created issues in and of itself. I'm doing this because I've never figured
out how to convert docs from 2003 to 2000 - its pretty much re-create it

from
scratch or nothing

Anyway....

1. The document includes both landscape and portrait orientation in about

6
sections. I followed instructions to remove the links between sections,

yet
whenever I change the landscaped header and footer, it changes the header

and
footer throughout the document. (can I throw the program out yet?)

2. I kept skipping from Section 2 to Section 4 with no section 3. The

only
way I found to get around it was to remove the section break, reinsert it,
than copy all the text into several hard returns I had added at the

beginning
of the new Section 3. The stray section is still there (at the end now) -

but
it doesn't show in any view I've tried (yes - I have the "show all" button
clicked in my options). It seems to be tied to a return charater (which is
formatted) but I can't delete the return - I've tried.

3. Is there a way to add a pop-up box to an embedded document telling my
readers how to open it?

4. Finally, how do I get back-to-front landscaped pages to print

correctly
(so that the top is always towards the margin) on duplex printers? This is
not meant to go in book form, so I don't need to insert blank pages or
book-layout pages. Because this will be distributed electronically, its
problematical to assume that everyone will end up with the same page
breaks... any ideals the best way to handle this? If necessay, I could

make
it a book layout with normal 1" margins, right?

Thanks so much for all your help - you've really saved me before, I'm

hoping
you can help again.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

My LaserJet 4100 prints landscape pages correctly oriented, as did my LJ 4,
but neither printer duplexes.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Chris Wallace Chris Wallace is offline

Many thanks Suzanne. My HP Laserjet 1100 also printed landscape pages
correctly. It would appear that the problem lies with HP Deskjet drivers.

Chris

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Interestingly, this can vary with the driver. I had a DeskJet 820Cse
(subsequently handed down to my husband) that output landscape pages one
way; when I updated the driver, they were the other way. What I don't know
was whether there was a similar rotation of the portrait pages (though it's
hard to believe they would have been ejected bottom first) because at that
time I was printing almost exclusively landscape pages (charts, mostly) on
that printer (everything else on the LaserJet).