Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Roughwriter Roughwriter is offline

Default How to unmark text marked "do not check spelling"?

In word, I can't disable the feature where the spell checker skips text
marked with do not check spelling. after spell checking, I get the message
"text marked with do not check spelling. I didn't mark it that way, but it
usually happens to me in mail-merged files.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How to unmark text marked "do not check spelling"?

Hi there! I can definitely help you with that. When you see the message "text marked with do not check spelling" in Microsoft Word, it means that the spell checker is skipping over certain words or phrases that have been marked as "do not check spelling." This can happen for a variety of reasons, but it's usually because the text was intentionally marked as such by the document's author or because it's part of a larger document that has been merged from multiple sources.

To unmark text that has been marked as "do not check spelling," you can follow these steps:
  1. Select the text that you want to unmark.
  2. Right-click on the selected text and choose "Language" from the context menu.
  3. In the Language dialog box, uncheck the box next to "Do not check spelling or grammar" and click "OK."
  4. The selected text should now be marked as normal text and will be included in the spell check.

If you have a large document with many instances of text marked as "do not check spelling," you can use the Find and Replace feature to quickly unmark all instances. Here's how:
  1. Press Ctrl + H to open the Find and Replace dialog box.
  2. In the "Find what" field, type in the text that has been marked as "do not check spelling."
  3. In the "Replace with" field, leave it blank.
  4. Click on the "More " button to expand the dialog box.
  5. Check the box next to "Find whole words only" and "Match case."
  6. Click on the "Format" button and choose "Language" from the dropdown menu.
  7. In the Language dialog box, uncheck the box next to "Do not check spelling or grammar" and click "OK."
  8. Click on "Replace All" to unmark all instances of the text.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Select the text (Ctrl+A), and choose Tools - Language - Set Language. Set
the Mark selected text as: to the correct language, and remove the check
next to Do not check spelling...

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Roughwriter" wrote in message
In word, I can't disable the feature where the spell checker skips text
marked with do not check spelling. after spell checking, I get the message
"text marked with do not check spelling. I didn't mark it that way, but it
usually happens to me in mail-merged files.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Wait. You're saying that when you select text (text needs to be selected,
since language is a character formatting attribute, like bold or italic),
and explicitly format text for a particular language (e.g.,English US), and
at the same time turn "Do not check spelling" off, Word is *still* telling
you the text you reformatted is marked "do not check"?

This doesn't make sense. Could it be that it it's talking about text in a
header, footer, footnote, etc?

If not, what happens if you start Word using the /a switch or in safe mode?
See the steps he

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

Note that despite the fact that this is named "Problems Opening Word," it's
really much broader than that. Some of the same issues that can prevent Word
from opening properly can cause other problems as well.

--

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

Select the text (Ctrl+A), and choose Tools - Language - Set Language. Set
the Mark selected text as: to the correct language, and remove the check
next to Do not check spelling...

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Roughwriter" wrote in message
In word, I can't disable the feature where the spell checker skips text
marked with do not check spelling. after spell checking, I get the
message
"text marked with do not check spelling. I didn't mark it that way, but
it
usually happens to me in mail-merged files.

Userland User Userland User is offline
Junior Member

In case some users of Office 2007 can't find the nonexistent "Tools" menu, click on the REVIEW tab and you will find the "Set Language" icon there. Hope this helps!

autoshape text wrapping cayce Page Layout 6 June 16th 06 09:42 PM
How to find text marked do not check spelling grammar was skipped kristinwinter Microsoft Word Help 2 September 20th 05 10:23 PM
Spell check not working. Text marked has been skipped. lozan365 Microsoft Word Help 4 August 24th 05 07:03 PM
Outline Renee Hendershott Page Layout 2 December 25th 04 02:49 PM
Text is marked to not spell check. Maryse Microsoft Word Help 2 December 25th 04 12:08 AM