Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Eric Eric is offline

Default Page Format/Footer template

Hello,

Is there a way to force a page format and a page footer every time Word is
launched or every time a new document is created by using a template.
I am currently using a startup folder on the network with a template to add
a specific menu to Word for all my users.
Is there a way to use the same folder to format the page and the footer?
(like a normal.dot...)

Thank you.

Eric

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You can add both formatting and toolbars to a template. See these articles:

What do Templates and Add-ins store?
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...latesStore.htm

Creating a Template - The Basics (Part I)
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...platePart1.htm

Creating a Template (Part II)
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...platePart2.htm

"Eric" wrote in message
Hello,

Is there a way to force a page format and a page footer every time Word is
launched or every time a new document is created by using a template.
I am currently using a startup folder on the network with a template to

add
a specific menu to Word for all my users.
Is there a way to use the same folder to format the page and the footer?
(like a normal.dot...)

Thank you.

Eric

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Eric Eric is offline

I just came back from a week vacation and started playing again with
templates.
I went through the links you mentioned but I can't get it to work.
All I want is to get specific header / footer + page setup whenever Word is
started or a new document is created.
Currently I have a "normal.dot" on the network in the "startup" designated
folder.
When I open the normal.dot, everything is there, header/footer, page setup
even a customized menu but someone those settings are not being used
automatically when I launch Word or create a new document.

What am I missing?

Thank you again.

Eric

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You can add both formatting and toolbars to a template. See these
articles:

What do Templates and Add-ins store?
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...latesStore.htm

Creating a Template - The Basics (Part I)
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...platePart1.htm

Creating a Template (Part II)
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...platePart2.htm

so
all may benefit.

"Eric" wrote in message
Hello,

Is there a way to force a page format and a page footer every time Word
is
launched or every time a new document is created by using a template.
I am currently using a startup folder on the network with a template to

add
a specific menu to Word for all my users.
Is there a way to use the same folder to format the page and the footer?
(like a normal.dot...)

Thank you.

Eric

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Normal.dot should never be in the Startup folder. It should be in the path
indicated for "user templates" on the File Locations tab of Tools | Options
(and if you don't have it there, Word will create one and use it in
preference to yours). It is also not a good idea to add a header or footer
to Normal.dot, as it will cause havoc with envelopes and labels.

Templates in the Startup folder are add-ins and can provide menus and
toolbars, macros, shortcut key assignments, and AutoText but not document
layout (such as page size/orientation, number of columns, header/footer,
margins, etc.), styles, or text or graphics; these have to be in a document
template. You need to reread

"Eric" wrote in message
[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Eric" wrote in message
Hello,

Is there a way to force a page format and a page footer every time Word
is
launched or every time a new document is created by using a template.
I am currently using a startup folder on the network with a template to

add
a specific menu to Word for all my users.
Is there a way to use the same folder to format the page and the

footer?
(like a normal.dot...)

Thank you.

Eric

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Eric Eric is offline

Oops, sorry about the email...

Your link was pretty clear about when to use add-ins or templates.
I think I'll use the command line with the /ttemplatename switch.

Customizing the normal.dot is not an option, because if I decide to change
one setting, I'll have to go around all the PC's and apply the change.

Thank you for you help.

Eric

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message

It appeared to me that you had not understood the distinction between
global
and document templates (as to contents) or the distinction between add-ins
and Normal.dot (as to location).

The only way to start Word with a document based on a template other than
Normal.dot is to call your template when starting Word. There are two ways
to do this:

1. Use a command line with the /ttemplatename switch (see the Word Help
topic "Customize how Word starts").

2. Start Word from a shortcut to the specific template.

You *can* customize Normal.dot (in its ordinary location) to include all
your customizations, which will then be available to *all* new documents
(unless a different document template is selected), but, as explained, it
is
wise to limit these to "global" settings; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...alTemplate.htm

http://sbarnhill.mvps.org

"Eric" wrote in message

Suzan,

I read it several times already. I know how to build a template that will
have all the page setup, header/footer...
The difficult part for me is to have the template called automatically
when
you open Word or create a new document.
I don't want any user interaction, I want to force the settings.

Am I still looking for something that is explained in your link?

Thanks.