Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Wayne Wengert Wayne Wengert is offline

Default Problem Printing Envelope

I am using Word 2003. I want to print an envelope of a custome size (5 1/2H
x 7 3/4W) with just a person's name centered (e.g. "Joe Jones"). I created a
new document with those dimensions and then keyed in the name and centered
it horizontally and vertically but print preview shows an empty page and
when I print, the printer starts up but never prints anything?

Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong?

Wayne

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
A DeLew A DeLew is offline

Have you tried the envelope printing options in Word 2003. ToolsLetters
and MailingsEnvelopes and LabelsEnvelope tabOptionsScroll to bottom and
choose Custom, in the pop-up window enter your custom dimensions. Note in
the Custom tab you can also change the orientation of the envelope.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Wayne Wengert Wayne Wengert is offline

Suzanne;

Thanks for the suggestion but that is already checked. Strange?

Wayne

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
If you put the address in a text box and do not have "Drawing objects"
checked on the Print tab of Tools | Options, nothing will print or display
in Print Preview.

so
all may benefit.

"Wayne Wengert" wrote in message
I am using Word 2003. I want to print an envelope of a custome size (5

1/2H
x 7 3/4W) with just a person's name centered (e.g. "Joe Jones"). I
created

new document with those dimensions and then keyed in the name and
centered
it horizontally and vertically but print preview shows an empty page and
when I print, the printer starts up but never prints anything?

Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong?

Wayne

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Wayne Wengert Wayne Wengert is offline

Thanks for the suggestion but that doesn't offer a way to specify horizontal
and vertical positiong of the name?

Wayne

"A DeLew" wrote in message
Have you tried the envelope printing options in Word 2003. ToolsLetters
and MailingsEnvelopes and LabelsEnvelope tabOptionsScroll to bottom
and choose Custom, in the pop-up window enter your custom dimensions. Note
in the Custom tab you can also change the orientation of the envelope.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Have you tried printing on a full-size sheet of paper to see if Word and the
printer have different ideas about where the envelope is?

"Wayne Wengert" wrote in message
I tried that and still get a blank print?

Wayne

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
On the Envelope Options tab of the Envelope Options dialog, you do not
have
"From left" and "From top" settings for "Delivery address" and "Return
address"?

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"A DeLew" wrote in message
Have you tried the envelope printing options in Word 2003.

ToolsLetters
and MailingsEnvelopes and LabelsEnvelope tabOptionsScroll to

bottom
and choose Custom, in the pop-up window enter your custom dimensions.

Note
in the Custom tab you can also change the orientation of the

envelope.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Wayne Wengert Wayne Wengert is offline

Suzanne;

Interesting suggestion. I tried changing to ltr size and on the Print Layout
window I see just the name and it is centered on the page as it should be
but print preiew is still blank. However, if I create a new document and
enter some text, preiew is fine. Really weird?

"A DeLew" wrote in message
Have you tried the envelope printing options in Word 2003.
ToolsLetters
and MailingsEnvelopes and LabelsEnvelope tabOptionsScroll to

bottom
and choose Custom, in the pop-up window enter your custom
dimensions.
Note
in the Custom tab you can also change the orientation of the

envelope.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
TF TF is offline

Instead of using a text box, you could use the Page Setup, Centre Vertically
option combined with an indented paragraph style to keep the address in the
middle of the envelope. I prefer this method to a Text Box in my envelope
templates.

Terry

"A DeLew" wrote in message
Have you tried the envelope printing options in Word 2003.
ToolsLetters
and MailingsEnvelopes and LabelsEnvelope tabOptionsScroll to

bottom
and choose Custom, in the pop-up window enter your custom
dimensions.
Note
in the Custom tab you can also change the orientation of the

envelope.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

No, no. Don't change the paper size in Word. Just feed a sheet of Letter
paper through the printer to see where it prints. If the printer is printing
in some different location from where Word thinks the envelope is, then you
may be able to adjust either where you feed the envelope or the setting in
Word. If not, then you have no recourse but to set the envelope up on a
sheet of paper, adjusting the margins accordingly. Some printers handle
custom sizes better than others; some printer drivers allow you to define
custom sizes in the printer Properties, and if you can't do that, then you
usually do have to treat the custom size as if it were Letter or A4 (in my
case this doesn't necessarily mean abandoning custom document sizes in Word,
just feeding the envelopes or cards from one side instead of in the center
using the centering guides).

There does seem to be something odd about your problem, though. Have we
already established that the address is not formatted as "Hidden"?

"A DeLew" wrote in message
Have you tried the envelope printing options in Word 2003.
ToolsLetters
and MailingsEnvelopes and LabelsEnvelope tabOptionsScroll to

bottom
and choose Custom, in the pop-up window enter your custom
dimensions.
Note
in the Custom tab you can also change the orientation of the

envelope.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Annoyingly, Tools | Envelopes does use text boxes in MacWord 2004.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Oh, that *is* annoying!

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
Annoyingly, Tools | Envelopes does use text boxes in MacWord 2004.

On 9/19/06 7:37 AM, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

No, the delivery address is in a frame, so that's not an issue here

(except
insofar as the frame may be outside the printable area).

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
MacWord Tips: http://word.mvps.org/Mac/WordMacHome.html
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/