Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
jaminthepark jaminthepark is offline

Default MS Word inserts header automatically

Hello,

One of our students has shown us when she creates a blank word doc, a
blank header is also automatically inserted. I wonder if there is a way
to disable this what appears to be now default behaviour...

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

In recent versions of Word, if the header of Normal.dot has ever been
modified (or even looked at cross-eyed), it retains an empty paragraph that
can't be deleted. The only way to get rid of it, I'm afraid is to rename
Normal.dot, and I don't think it's worth losing all one's customizations
over such a minor annoyance (though this will definitely cause problems with
labels).

"jaminthepark" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

One of our students has shown us when she creates a blank word doc, a
blank header is also automatically inserted. I wonder if there is a way
to disable this what appears to be now default behaviour...

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
jaminthepark jaminthepark is offline

Thank you Suzanne,
It is Word 2003 a part of Office 2003 suite. Would overwriting
normal.dot file with another one from different computer which is
armored with same version of Word solve the problem?

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
In recent versions of Word, if the header of Normal.dot has ever been
modified (or even looked at cross-eyed), it retains an empty paragraph that
can't be deleted. The only way to get rid of it, I'm afraid is to rename
Normal.dot, and I don't think it's worth losing all one's customizations
over such a minor annoyance (though this will definitely cause problems with
labels).

"jaminthepark" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

One of our students has shown us when she creates a blank word doc, a
blank header is also automatically inserted. I wonder if there is a way
to disable this what appears to be now default behaviour...

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

It might, but it would not solve the problem of losing customizations; you'd
do better to rename Normal.dot and retrieve as many customizations as
possible as described at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...ocNotBlank.htm. Note that the main
thing that can't be retrieved are toolbar customizations, but custom
toolbars can, so you can get around this by creating a custom toolbar in the
original Normal.dot, dragging all the custom buttons/menus to it, saving,
then copying the custom toolbar into the new Normal.dot (using the
Organizer) and dragging the buttons/menus back to their normal place.

oups.com...

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
In recent versions of Word, if the header of Normal.dot has ever been
modified (or even looked at cross-eyed), it retains an empty paragraph

that
can't be deleted. The only way to get rid of it, I'm afraid is to rename
Normal.dot, and I don't think it's worth losing all one's customizations
over such a minor annoyance (though this will definitely cause problems

with
labels).

newsgroup so
all may benefit.