Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Monniek Monniek is offline

Default I can't get WORD to correctly number a section as 1-1.

My problem is the same as the post on 8/9 of this year and I still can't get
the numbering to work correctly. That problem was evidently resolved offline,
which doesn't help me much. I tried all of the suggestions posted, but cannot
find an additional section break to justify the numbering of the first
section after the TOC and TOF (which are in italics) as 2. Help! Please!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Is your "section number" coming from a SECTION field? Or is it a "chapter
number" derived from the numbering of one of Word's built-in heading styles?

I was the one who fielded this question originally and looked at David's
document. It turned out he'd used lower-level headings (Heading 5 in this
case) for the titles of his TOC and TOF. When you do that, Word assumes that
a higher-level heading must have preceded them, and so it advances the
numbering on all the heading levels above that one. If you are using Heading
1 numbering to supply your "chapter number," check to see whether you have
used a Heading 2 or lower before the first Heading 1. Instead of using
unused Heading styles for the TOC and TOF heads, create a new style for
them. It can be identical to your Heading 1 or Heading 2 but should not be
based on it.