Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Anxious Learner Anxious Learner is offline

Default what causes a vertical line to appear in Word?

I am using microsoft office word 2003. I was formatting a letter and
attempted to establish what I think is a center tab to line up the right
half of the text. I tried several things. I ended up with faint vertical
lines on several lines of text of the letter. Why? How do I get rid of them?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You may have inadvertently inserted a bar tab. Go to Format | Tabs and check
on this; clear it if necessary.

"Anxious Learner" Anxious wrote in
message ...
I am using microsoft office word 2003. I was formatting a letter and
attempted to establish what I think is a center tab to line up the right
half of the text. I tried several things. I ended up with faint vertical
lines on several lines of text of the letter. Why? How do I get rid of

them?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
John Doue John Doue is offline

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
You may have inadvertently inserted a bar tab. Go to Format | Tabs and check
on this; clear it if necessary.

Suzanne,

What would be the most common uses for such a bar tab?

Thanks

--
John Doue
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

As I understand it, it's a survival from DOS days, before the table feature
was introduced, and was used in conjunction with underlining to create the
appearance of a ruled table. It can still be used that way (and I
occasionally do so, though using paragraph borders to create the horizontal
lines). When you set such a tab, the line appears automatically at the tab
stop position and automatically extends to the height of the paragraph so
that it is possible to create a continuous vertical line extending through
one or more paragraphs. I have on occasion used it as a center line to help
me copy by hand text that I have printed, for example, when I'm handwriting
formal, centered text such as:

Dr. and Mrs. Matthew Talbot Barnhill, Jr.
accept with pleasure
the kind invitation
of Mr. and Mrs. John Q. Doe
for Saturday, the thirtieth of September

and the like.

"John Doue" wrote in message
Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
You may have inadvertently inserted a bar tab. Go to Format | Tabs and

check
on this; clear it if necessary.

Suzanne,

What would be the most common uses for such a bar tab?

Thanks

--
John Doue

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

[...]

Thanks Suzanne. Sorry I missed the humor from the signature part but I
trust it is just me being dense today ...

Regards

--
John Doue

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
John Doue John Doue is offline

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Humor?

Sorry, I got sidetracked by the name "John Doe" (almost my handle):

Dr. and Mrs. Matthew Talbot Barnhill, Jr.
accept with pleasure
the kind invitation
of Mr. and Mrs. John Q. Doe
for Saturday, the thirtieth of September

and the like.

and did not realize it was an example of text.

Reading too fast ...

Regards

--
John Doue

WP merge file to Word sstires Tables 4 February 14th 06 06:26 PM
How do I set right and left alignment on the same line in Word? Matador Page Layout 1 November 9th 05 08:32 PM