Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Greg S Greg S is offline

Default allow a4/letter resizing

Hello. I have found this forum very helpful. Thank you very much. I could not
get a number of my Word6 docs to print when changing top and bottom margins
until unchecking allow a4/ letter resizing under tools after seeing this in
the forum. I have found that this option reverts back to the original
setting, but I don't know why. It may only be when updates come thru becuase
I can uncheck the box, restart my computer and find the setting unchecked on
all docs as I want it to be. How can I keep this resize box unchecked
permanently, even after updates are installed?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you are now using Word 2003, note that it has an unfortunate habit of
randomly losing some settings in tools options. The only satisfactory cure
is to set those errant settings using autonew and autoopen macros in
normal.dot the following line in each of those macros will sort this
particular issue.

Options.MapPaperSize = False

See http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm

Greg S wrote:
Hello. I have found this forum very helpful. Thank you very much. I
could not get a number of my Word6 docs to print when changing top
and bottom margins until unchecking allow a4/ letter resizing under
tools after seeing this in the forum. I have found that this option
reverts back to the original setting, but I don't know why. It may
only be when updates come thru becuase I can uncheck the box, restart
my computer and find the setting unchecked on all docs as I want it
to be. How can I keep this resize box unchecked permanently, even
after updates are installed?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Greg S Greg S is offline

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the fix. Wow!!

I went to the idiots' guide and I feel like an idiot! I have never done
anything with macros and I don't really understand what a macro is but I get
the idea. I will attempt the guide and see how I go. I take it the code for
the macro is Options.MapPaperSize = False
Do I need to do the macro in modules if I am setting it up as autonew and
autopen? Where will I get instructions for this?
As you can see I am a bit lost when it comes to macros. Sorry

Regards,

Greg

Greg S wrote:
Hello. I have found this forum very helpful. Thank you very much. I
could not get a number of my Word6 docs to print when changing top
and bottom margins until unchecking allow a4/ letter resizing under
tools after seeing this in the forum. I have found that this option
reverts back to the original setting, but I don't know why. It may
only be when updates come thru becuase I can uncheck the box, restart
my computer and find the setting unchecked on all docs as I want it
to be. How can I keep this resize box unchecked permanently, even
after updates are installed?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Create a new module - call it automacros - and copy the two macros below
into it.

Sub AutoNew()
Options.MapPaperSize = False
End Sub
Sub AutoOpen()
Options.MapPaperSize = False
End Sub

These macros will grow as you find other problems you want to correct

The ones below are from my current PC

Sub AutoNew()
ActiveWindow.ActivePane.DisplayRulers = True
ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.ShowAll = False
ActiveWindow.DisplayHorizontalScrollBar = True
ActiveWindow.DisplayVerticalScrollBar = True
With ActiveWindow.View
.Type = wdPrintView
.Zoom.Percentage = 500
.Zoom.Percentage = 100
.FieldShading = wdFieldShadingWhenSelected
.ShowFieldCodes = False
.DisplayPageBoundaries = True
.ShowDrawings = True
End With
CommandBars("Reviewing").Visible = False
CommandBars("Drawing").Visible = False
CommandBars("Forms").Visible = False
CommandBars("Mail Merge").Visible = False
End Sub

Sub Autoopen()
ActiveWindow.Caption = ActiveDocument.FullName
ActiveWindow.ActivePane.DisplayRulers = True
ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.ShowAll = False
ActiveWindow.DisplayHorizontalScrollBar = True
ActiveWindow.DisplayVerticalScrollBar = True
With ActiveWindow.View
.Type = wdPrintView
.Zoom.Percentage = 500
.Zoom.Percentage = 100
.FieldShading = wdFieldShadingWhenSelected
.ShowFieldCodes = False
.DisplayPageBoundaries = True
.ShowDrawings = True
End With
End Sub

Sub AutoExec()
CommandBars("Reviewing").Visible = False
CommandBars("Drawing").Visible = False
CommandBars("Forms").Visible = False
CommandBars("Mail Merge").Visible = False
Application.OnTime _
When:=Now + TimeValue("00:00:01"), Name:="CodesOff"
End Sub

Sub CodesOff()
On Error GoTo oops:
ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.ShowAll = False
oops:
End Sub

Greg S wrote:
Hello. I have found this forum very helpful. Thank you very much. I
could not get a number of my Word6 docs to print when changing top
and bottom margins until unchecking allow a4/ letter resizing under
tools after seeing this in the forum. I have found that this option
reverts back to the original setting, but I don't know why. It may
only be when updates come thru becuase I can uncheck the box,
restart my computer and find the setting unchecked on all docs as I
want it to be. How can I keep this resize box unchecked
permanently, even after updates are installed?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The current version of Word (2003) is quite stable and has relatively few
bugs. It does have a few idiosyncracies but there are usually answers to
them.

A4/Letter Resizing Jill Page Layout 3 August 31st 06 02:31 PM
how do convert to inches when resizing of a single envelope J's Lulu Microsoft Word Help 1 November 30th 05 02:35 PM
Column resizing problems in table -- help?? bmuse21 Page Layout 1 May 6th 05 12:59 PM
Column resizing problems -- help? bmuse21 Tables 2 May 6th 05 09:01 AM
Column resizing problems in table -- help??? bmuse21 Microsoft Word Help 1 May 6th 05 08:59 AM