Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] akshay4friend@yahoo.com is offline

Default Simple Index

I just want to create simple index with MS-WORD

ONE
TWO
THREE

so that when I click on ONE it will take you to specific
paragraph.....I cannot get how to do this with Insert-Index &
tables..it seems difficult to understand....I tried to create index
entried and generated index....but hyperlinks were not genratedany ...
any easy way to do this ?

AKshay

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Unlike a Table of Contents, Index entries are not hyperlinks nor is there an
option in the Index & Tables feature to make them so... one primary reason
being that an index item could very well be - and often is - located in
several places within the doc, so which one gets linked to?

Once you generate an index you can then convert each entry to a hyperlink.
If you do you might also want to look into creating Bookmarks so you can
hyperlink to them... Just keep in mind that if you regenerate the index it
will remove your hyperlinks.

IMHO, creating hyperlinks to navigate the doc is superfluous work - there
are numerous navigation tools readily available in Word. Explore the Browse
Object/Go To features & encourage others to learn to use it as well :-)
--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

wrote in message
oups.com...
I just want to create simple index with MS-WORD

ONE
TWO
THREE

so that when I click on ONE it will take you to specific
paragraph.....I cannot get how to do this with Insert-Index &
tables..it seems difficult to understand....I tried to create index
entried and generated index....but hyperlinks were not genratedany ...
any easy way to do this ?

AKshay

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

It sounds like what you really want is a table of contents (TOC) rather than
an index. You can create this with TC fields (similar to the way you created
the index with XE fields), or you can build it using existing headings. See
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html

oups.com...