Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout,microsoft.public.word.general
Greg Greg is offline

Default Change formatting style on page numbers in index...

Hi,

I wish to change the formatting styles for the page numbers displayed
in my concordance listing. Currently they are the same size generated
by the index in the main document. Can someone tell me where to find
this information in the archives or if it is even possible?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

-Greg

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout,microsoft.public.word.general

Assuming the indexes are using the same Index 1, Index 2, etc., styles, I
don't think there's any way unless you unlink the index and format it
manually.

"Greg" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I wish to change the formatting styles for the page numbers displayed
in my concordance listing. Currently they are the same size generated
by the index in the main document. Can someone tell me where to find
this information in the archives or if it is even possible?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

-Greg

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout,microsoft.public.word.general
Greg Greg is offline

Hi Suzanne,

I appreciate your reply. I've taken the weekend to give some thought to
your idea of formatting the index manually. I believe I am able to
generate a catalog formatted mail merge file into an index provided
there is a way to capture the page numbers for each indexed item in
some way. Do you have any recommendations on how this may be
accomplished?

BTW, do you know if there is a way to tie a bookmark to a page number?
If so, I may be able to map that to each indexed item. Have you any
thoughts regarding these ideas?

-Greg

"Greg" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I wish to change the formatting styles for the page numbers displayed
in my concordance listing. Currently they are the same size generated
by the index in the main document. Can someone tell me where to find
this information in the archives or if it is even possible?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

-Greg

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout,microsoft.public.word.general

When you insert a bookmark on a given page, then you can insert a
cross-reference to the page number of that bookmark (a PAGEREF field). I
don't know if this helps.

ups.com...

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Assuming the indexes are using the same Index 1, Index 2, etc., styles,

don't think there's any way unless you unlink the index and format it
manually.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Greg" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I wish to change the formatting styles for the page numbers displayed
in my concordance listing. Currently they are the same size generated
by the index in the main document. Can someone tell me where to find
this information in the archives or if it is even possible?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

-Greg

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout,microsoft.public.word.general
Greg Greg is offline

Hi,

Yes, this was helpful but it appears to be a manual process. Is there
anyway to automate the bookmark process? In my case, each index item is
associated with a unique number. I would have to manually mark 500+
entries. It seems there must be some way to use Mail Merge or a VBA
macro. Any further thoughts?

-Greg

"Greg" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I wish to change the formatting styles for the page numbers displayed
in my concordance listing. Currently they are the same size generated
by the index in the main document. Can someone tell me where to find
this information in the archives or if it is even possible?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

-Greg

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout,microsoft.public.word.general
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

Hi Greg:

You can do a wide range of things such as this using Find and Replace. You
can do fancy stuff using a Concordance file. Using VBA you can do anything
you like.

However, I am not at all clear as to what you want to do. I know: it's very
tempting to give information only for the immediate question. However, this
task is going to need an approach and a method. To help you, we need more
detail :-)

For example: I don't think the result you want is a conventional "Index".
If it were, you wouldn't be using a concordance file. So please describe
what you want, and how you want it to be used, in a bit more detail :-)

Cheers

On 5/10/06 1:39 AM, in article
, "Greg"

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
When you insert a bookmark on a given page, then you can insert a
cross-reference to the page number of that bookmark (a PAGEREF field). I
don't know if this helps.

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org

"Greg" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I wish to change the formatting styles for the page numbers displayed
in my concordance listing. Currently they are the same size generated
by the index in the main document. Can someone tell me where to find
this information in the archives or if it is even possible?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

-Greg

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout,microsoft.public.word.general
Greg Greg is offline

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply and again I apologize for not being more clear in
my previous explanations. Hopefully the following provides a more clear
explanation.

I have been trying to create a Medical Faculty Research Directory from
an Excel Spread sheet which contains the following main items for each
faculty member:

Name: Accession Number
Title
Department
Address (Lines 1-3)
Phone
E-mail address
Qualifications
Expertise
2 most recent publication citations for each person

In addtion, I need to create 3 indices:

Index 1: A list of Keywords, displayed alphabetically, referencing the
profile accession number and page number. The keywords will be terms
present in the Additional Terms field which does not appear in the
directory other than the index.

Index 2: A list of faculty )and their associated accession numbers),
displayed alphabeticaly by anme, along with page number.directory.

Index 3: A list of faculty (and their associated accession numbers),
displayed alphabeticlly by department and then last name within
department, along with page number.

I tried creating the first two indices using the Concordace method
described in "How to create a table of contents and index with field
codes in Word 2000 and Word 2002" available from the following webkink:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/212346/

However, many of the page numbers for the "Additional Terms" were
incorrect. So, I decided to try creating the index using a more manual
approach with Bookmarks. However, using this method I have a problem
with defining more than 6 bookmarks. It seems each time I try to
creat bookmark number 7, it removes the previously created bookmark.

Again thanks, I would be greatful for any additional help you can
provide.

Regards,
Greg

"Greg" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I wish to change the formatting styles for the page numbers displayed
in my concordance listing. Currently they are the same size generated
by the index in the main document. Can someone tell me where to find
this information in the archives or if it is even possible?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

-Greg

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout,microsoft.public.word.general
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

Hi Greg:

OK, you need Index tags (XE Fields) with \f "Type " switches.

Look up "Field codes: XE (Index Entry) field" and study it. You need to
manually tag each entry: you can't use any fancy automatic compilations such
as a concordance file for this.

You need to tag each "Accession Number" with an XE Field containing a \a
switch.

Tag each Name with an XE field containing a \n switch, and each Department
with an XE field contianing a \d switch.

You will need to replicate the Accession Number into each of the tags (the
content of the XE tags won't print, but will appear in the Indexes).

Then insert THREE indexes. Each INDEX field needs the corresponding \f
switch. { INDEX \f "a" } will list the Accession numbers,
{ INDEX \f "n" } will list them by Name, and { INDEX \f "d" } by
department.

You will get your three alphabetised Indexes, with page numbers, containing
the information you want.

There is another way of doing this, if you prefer, using the Table of
Contents generator instead of the Index generator.

To do this, apply the built-in styles Heading 4, Heading 5 and Heading 6
(for example) to each of the three lines you want to appear. You need a
different style for each of the kinds of information. You can format the
styles so the lines all appear the same: it's the style Name that does the
work.

Then insert three tables of contents: One including only Heading 4, one
including only Heading 5, one including only Heading 6.

Now unlink each table of contents (see " Prevent changes to information
inserted by a field") and Sort it using TableSort...

Either method will work. Method 2, using styles, is easier for large lists
because you can use Find/Replace to apply the styles.

Hope this helps

On 10/10/06 1:43 AM, in article
, "Greg"

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
When you insert a bookmark on a given page, then you can insert a
cross-reference to the page number of that bookmark (a PAGEREF field). I
don't know if this helps.

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org
so
all may benefit.

"Greg" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I wish to change the formatting styles for the page numbers displayed
in my concordance listing. Currently they are the same size generated
by the index in the main document. Can someone tell me where to find
this information in the archives or if it is even possible?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

-Greg

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout,microsoft.public.word.general
Greg Greg is offline

Hi John,

Yes, this was extremely helpful and I'll give them both a try. I'll
report back with my results later in the week. Thanks so much for your
quick reply and suggestions.

"Greg" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I wish to change the formatting styles for the page numbers displayed
in my concordance listing. Currently they are the same size generated
by the index in the main document. Can someone tell me where to find
this information in the archives or if it is even possible?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

-Greg

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Index using prefix for page numbers Jo Microsoft Word Help 3 July 27th 06 01:04 PM
adding pages MoJR Microsoft Word Help 23 February 28th 06 04:51 PM
Creating Index with special Page Numbering Style Sherrysfarm228 Microsoft Word Help 0 August 16th 05 06:10 PM
Adding index changes page numbers banquomd Microsoft Word Help 1 August 13th 05 11:05 AM