Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Michael Shapiro Michael Shapiro is offline

Default footnotes missing

I have a word 2003 document with footnotes on text in tables. About half-way
through the document, the footnotes do not show up at the bottom of the page.
Some of the tables span 2 pages (which may trigger some bug) but the
footnotes do show up on some of those tables. But after one such table,
footnotes cease to show up at all, even on text outside tables.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I've seen this before, and the cause was very long table rows (extending
over more than one page). Break your long tables into multiple rows (at
least one per page), and I think you'll find you've solved your problem.

"Michael Shapiro" Michael wrote in
message ...
I have a word 2003 document with footnotes on text in tables. About

half-way
through the document, the footnotes do not show up at the bottom of the

page.
Some of the tables span 2 pages (which may trigger some bug) but the
footnotes do show up on some of those tables. But after one such table,
footnotes cease to show up at all, even on text outside tables.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Michael Shapiro Michael Shapiro is offline

I think I understand what you are saying -- I have too many rows in the table
and when it spans more than 2 pages I lose the footnotes. So I should split
the table so that it is 2 (or more tables) than do not span more than one
page.

I tried this at it did fix the problem.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I've seen this before, and the cause was very long table rows (extending
over more than one page). Break your long tables into multiple rows (at
least one per page), and I think you'll find you've solved your problem.

"Michael Shapiro" Michael wrote in
message ...
I have a word 2003 document with footnotes on text in tables. About

half-way
through the document, the footnotes do not show up at the bottom of the

page.
Some of the tables span 2 pages (which may trigger some bug) but the
footnotes do show up on some of those tables. But after one such table,
footnotes cease to show up at all, even on text outside tables.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

No, that's not what I'm saying at all, though it would of course help. What
I'm saying is that the problem arises when a given row (especially one
containing a footnote reference) spans more than one page. Word defers the
footnote to the page on which the row ends; if, by the time the row ends, so
many footnotes have piled up that there isn't room for them on that page,
then they just disappear.

"Michael Shapiro" wrote in
message ...

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I've seen this before, and the cause was very long table rows (extending
over more than one page). Break your long tables into multiple rows (at
least one per page), and I think you'll find you've solved your problem.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Michael Shapiro" Michael wrote in
message ...
I have a word 2003 document with footnotes on text in tables. About

half-way
through the document, the footnotes do not show up at the bottom of

the
page.
Some of the tables span 2 pages (which may trigger some bug) but the
footnotes do show up on some of those tables. But after one such

table,
footnotes cease to show up at all, even on text outside tables.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Michael Shapiro Michael Shapiro is offline

Interesting. What you describe is not the case in my document. The table that
appeared to cause the problem did not have any rows that spanned two pages.
In fact, none of my tables do that. The table in question did have a footnote
in it and spanned 3 pages. Tables prior to that one with footnotes spanned at
most 2 pages.
And the foootnotes did appear at the bottom of the pages prior to the
offending table.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Michael Shapiro Michael Shapiro is offline

Interesting. None of my tables have any rows that span mutiple pages.
The table in question appears to have an implicit (ie not one I added)
page break before it. Other tables prior to that one did span 2 pages
but the footnotes still appeared. They only stopped appearing on the
first page with this table