Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Bigluce Bigluce is offline

Default Fax Wizard Template Query

Hi there. We have recently networked our copier so that it can send faxes, I
have the LAN software to support it installed and I can send electronic
documents to fax direct from my PC - great.

Now here's my problem - we are a unit of about 12 people and we use a
standard fax template when sending over MANUALLY. However, we want to be
able to use this template when using the Fax Wizard, but for some reason it
is only prompting for 3 in-house Microsoft ones, there is no option to choose
my own - does anyone know how I can change these to make one of them my own
template?

Thanks and regards
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

If you're seeing the three options "Professional", "Elegant" and
"Contemporary", then the situation is as follows, at leas tin Word 2003:
a. Word uses a template called Fax Wizard.wiz (you will probably find it in

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates\1033

) as its Fax Wizard. When you opt to print your Fax for faxing later, you
get to choose one of those three types of fax. But Word does not then open a
particular .dot depending on your choice. The wizard dynamically generates
the complete content (as far as I know) of the fax document using VBA code
in the wizard, which you can see if you open the wizard as a document then
open the VBA Editor. It only uses the three .dot templates Professional
Fax.dot etc. to get the /styles/ for the text it inserts into those
generated templates.

So in other words, you should be able to modify one of the default templates
in order to use the /styles/ you want, but in order to make radical changes
to the whole appearance of the fax, you would probably also have to modify
the VBA code in the Fax Wizard.

If you just want to send simple faxes prepared in Word using your own
layout, I suggest you avoid the wizard, and cretae your own version of one
of the provided templates, such as Professional Fax.dot , Business Fax. dot
etc., then when you want to fax,
a. use File|New to select that fax template and create a new document based
on it
b. fill in the necessary data. There are various ways to approach this -
the existing templates use { MACROBUTTON } fields I think.
c. print the document to your fax printer (if that's how your network fax
service works). If that facility offers to add a cover sheet, say you don't
want one.

If you are sending via Microsoft Fax, you get to pick one of its cover
sheets. These are a completely different type of thing and have their own
Cover Page Editor (which you may find in Windows Start|"All
Programs"|Accessories|Communications|Fax. However, in that case, it is also
not particularly obvious where the predefined templates are - but if you are
trying to go that route, let us know and I'll try to find out if you can't
find the .cov files).

Peter Jamieson

There are other ways to do fax cover sheets, none of them especially
straightforward. If you want to be able to attach a cover sheet to any Word
document, then you probably have to use the Wizard or write your own code in
order to prepend an appropriate sheet to your document without messing up
the styles and page numbering of the thing you acually want to send.

Peter Jamieson

"Bigluce" wrote in message
Hi there. We have recently networked our copier so that it can send
faxes, I
have the LAN software to support it installed and I can send electronic
documents to fax direct from my PC - great.

Now here's my problem - we are a unit of about 12 people and we use a
standard fax template when sending over MANUALLY. However, we want to be
able to use this template when using the Fax Wizard, but for some reason
it
is only prompting for 3 in-house Microsoft ones, there is no option to
choose
my own - does anyone know how I can change these to make one of them my
own
template?

Thanks and regards

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Bigluce Bigluce is offline

Thank you Peter, that was extremely helpful. Sadly I think the process
involved outweighs the small benefit. I did browse through the templates and
try to change them but it made no difference from what I could see.

I think I had really better stick to going trough the LAN fax service via
Print Options.

Thanks once again for the info.