rabaloo

Default Odd or even numbers sequences for college homework (ie. when aske.

I'm using the latest version of Office. When asked to answer odd questions
only (college homework from textbook) I have to fight with Word's automatic
numbering feature to eliminate even numbers. I would like a feature that
allows us to change the sequencing of numbers from all, to even, to odd, or
(hey, let's get crazy...) using fractional notation or some exponential
equation. Okay, too crazy. But the odd/even number sequencing would be great.
Thanks.
Chuck Davis

I'm using the latest version of Office. When asked to

answer odd questions
only (college homework from textbook) I have to fight with

Word's automatic
numbering feature to eliminate even numbers. I would like

a feature that
allows us to change the sequencing of numbers from all, to

even, to odd, or
(hey, let's get crazy...) using fractional notation or

some exponential
equation. Okay, too crazy. But the odd/even number

sequencing would be great.
Thanks.
.

Post you product improvement suggestions he
Jay Freedman

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 16:53:01 -0800, "rabaloo"
wrote:

I'm using the latest version of Office. When asked to answer odd questions
only (college homework from textbook) I have to fight with Word's automatic
numbering feature to eliminate even numbers. I would like a feature that
allows us to change the sequencing of numbers from all, to even, to odd, or
(hey, let's get crazy...) using fractional notation or some exponential
equation. Okay, too crazy. But the odd/even number sequencing would be great.
Thanks.

You aren't going to get automatic numbering to do anything like that,
but it is possible to get "semiautomatic" numbering to do odd or even.
You need to use SEQ fields, a feature that predates automatic
numbering by several Word versions and still works more reliably and
flexibly.

The first thing to note is that you can have two or more SEQ field
series running at the same time. Each field contains a sequence name
that identifies which series it belongs to. You can make up any name
you want, just make it a single short word. Let's use "odd" as the
name for a series of odd numbers.

The second thing is that you can insert an \r switch to start (or
restart) the series at any number. If you don't use an \r switch at
all, the series starts at 1. Each successive SEQ field in the same
series adds 1 to the preceding number. Let's start the "odd" series at
zero, using the field code
{ SEQ odd \r 0 }
You can make the field by pressing Ctrl+F9 to insert the braces (they
aren't regular braces that you type on the keyboard) and typing the
code in, or by using the Insert Field dialog.

Now for a bit of trickery: Type an equal sign before the field, and
type the characters *2+1 after the field. Then select the whole
thing and press Ctrl+F9 to make it into a formula field, with the SEQ
field buried inside. It should look like this now:
{ ={ SEQ odd \r 0 }*2+1 }

Copy the field and paste it in the next paragraph. In this second
copy, delete the "\r 0" part -- you don't want to reset the number
again, you want to continue the series.

Select both fields and press F9 to update them. The first one should
show 1 and the second one should show 3. Copy the second one and paste
it as many times as you want, then select them and press F9. If you
insert another field in the middle of an existing series, select the
whole series (or the whole document, with Ctrl+A) and press F9 --
they'll all recalculate. You can also update all SEQ fields by going
to Print Preview and back (assuming you have "Update fields" checked
in Tools Options Print).

To make an even series, remove the "+1" from all the fields, and
change the starting field's switch to \r 1 or remove it. You should
probably change the series name to "even", although that won't have
any effect on the display values.

For an exponential series, you're on your own. I think you might be
able to get a Fibonacci series, though...

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Greg Maxey

Chuck,

I do it a little different than Jay.

I use {={Seq Odd}*2+1} for odd and {={Seq Even}*2} for even. I have both
defined as an Autotext entry "nextodd" and "nexteven" respectively. When I
want to start an odd sequence I simply manually time the 1 then nexto... and
hit enter when the autotip popup appears. You can of coure copy and paste
after you enter the first seq field as Jay describes.

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
A Peer in Peer to Peer Support

Chuck Davis wrote:
I'm using the latest version of Office. When asked to answer odd
questions only (college homework from textbook) I have to fight with
Word's automatic numbering feature to eliminate even numbers. I
would like a feature that allows us to change the sequencing of
numbers from all, to even, to odd, or (hey, let's get crazy...)
using fractional notation or some exponential equation. Okay, too
crazy. But the odd/even number sequencing would be great. Thanks.
.

Post you product improvement suggestions he

Others have suggested all sorts of ways to get what you want using
autonumbering, but why do you even want to use autonumbering? The questions
you are answering already have numbers, and those numbers are not going to
change, so there is no benefit to be gained by using autonumbering in Word.
A much better approach is to use a List style (if you want a hanging indent)
and type the numbers manually.