Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MungMan MungMan is offline

Default Word 2003 Dictionary Language

I have a doccument that I wrote in English and how for some reason when I try
to spell check it my system is using a French dictionary. I checked MS Office
2003 Language Settings and the only enabled language is English (US). I had
this problem once before and accidentially figured out how to change the
dictionary back to English but cannot recall how I did it? Any suggestions
--
MungMan
Chicago, IL
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?TXVuZ01hbg==?=,

I have a doccument that I wrote in English and how for some reason when I try
to spell check it my system is using a French dictionary. I checked MS Office
2003 Language Settings and the only enabled language is English (US). I had
this problem once before and accidentially figured out how to change the
dictionary back to English but cannot recall how I did it?

Have you tried Ctrl+A, then Tools/Language/Set language, choosing English?

And while you'rein this dialog box, check if the "Detect language automatically"
checkbox is activated? If it is, that would/could explain how you ended up with
French.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MungMan MungMan is offline

Cindy,
Thanks. "Detect..." was checked and all forms of French are checked on this
document. How do I "uncheck" them?
--
MungMan
Chicago, IL

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?TXVuZ01hbg==?=,

I have a doccument that I wrote in English and how for some reason when I try
to spell check it my system is using a French dictionary. I checked MS Office
2003 Language Settings and the only enabled language is English (US). I had
this problem once before and accidentially figured out how to change the
dictionary back to English but cannot recall how I did it?

Have you tried Ctrl+A, then Tools/Language/Set language, choosing English?

And while you'rein this dialog box, check if the "Detect language automatically"
checkbox is activated? If it is, that would/could explain how you ended up with
French.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Read again the first sentence of Cindy's reply.
The language attribute is an individual per character setting.

MungMan wrote:
[...]

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow
question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It means that every single character can be associated with a language.

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Jun 17
2005) http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow
question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MungMan MungMan is offline

So my question still stands, how do I check only English or un-check all the
French selections?
--
MungMan
Chicago, IL

MungMan wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MungMan MungMan is offline

I thought I had done that before but apparently not. This time it worked!
Thanks very much.
--
MungMan
Chicago, IL

MungMan wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Confused Charley Confused Charley is offline

You saved my sanity. I had removed Office 2003 and reloaded it and still had
the same problem.

How do I make sure I always have my documents in english US?

The original document was down loaded from the internet!! could that have
been the proble??

Thanks again

Charley 1938

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?TXVuZ01hbg==?=,

I have a doccument that I wrote in English and how for some reason when I try
to spell check it my system is using a French dictionary. I checked MS Office
2003 Language Settings and the only enabled language is English (US). I had
this problem once before and accidentially figured out how to change the
dictionary back to English but cannot recall how I did it?

Have you tried Ctrl+A, then Tools/Language/Set language, choosing English?

And while you'rein this dialog box, check if the "Detect language automatically"
checkbox is activated? If it is, that would/could explain how you ended up with
French.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Language is a text formatting parameter. If you copy material from the
internet then you have no control over what language parameter is already
applied to that text. One way to ensure it matches the text you paste into
is to use edit paste special unformatted text. Otherwise its a matter of
changing the language of the document to your own requirements (CTRL+A
Tools Language Set language - and while in that dialog ensure
automatically detect language is unchecked).

Confused Charley wrote:
You saved my sanity. I had removed Office 2003 and reloaded it and
still had the same problem.

How do I make sure I always have my documents in english US?

The original document was down loaded from the internet!! could that
have been the proble??

Thanks again

Charley 1938

Hi ?B?TXVuZ01hbg==?=,