Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
MacWebgrrl MacWebgrrl is offline

Default Same page numbers in TOC

I have a rather odd problem involving the TOC of a large Word 2003 document.
It is about 25 megs of text and graphics with styles applied. This is a
document that is revised every six months or so.

For some reason, when in Print Preview, the TOC shows up as all the same
page number. The page number generated is always the one on the following
page. For example, if you click on Print Preview on page 4, then the TOC
shows everything is located on page 5. When I close Print Preview, the TOC
page numbers have changed to reflect that single number and, when printed, it
is still that wrong single number.

I have deleted the TOC and inserted a new one and the same thing happened.
The "Allow starting in Reading Layout" is turned off. This happens when doing
a Print Preview and also when the document is closed and reopened.

I was finally able to get it to look right on the screen and print right by
doing the 'Open and Repair' procedure but, when I do the Print Preview, it
still shows that all the topics are on the same page.

I told my customer (in jest) to not look at the Print Preview, but there is
still something obviously wrong. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Nancy Johnson
Technical Writer
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
MacWebgrrl MacWebgrrl is offline

By the way - this also is reflected in the Table of Figures and the List of
Tables...they all have the same page number showing.

"MacWebgrrl" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
MacWebgrrl MacWebgrrl is offline

Hi, Suzanne,

According to the article you pointed out to me, that error occurs when there
is (1) a table and floating image in the header or footer and (2) the image
is anchored to a paragraph within the table and (3) there is a page number in
the same header or footer.

Unfortunately that's not my scenario. I only have text in the footer with
the page number...no table and no image...and nothing in the header.

Thanks,
Nancy Johnson
Technical Writer

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Perhaps a variation of the problem described at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/PageNumber0.htm

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Does it happen only with this particular document?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Perhaps a variation of the problem described at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/PageNumber0.htm

so

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Gijsbert . Gijsbert . is offline

Default Workaround

I have this problem all the time. However, I accidentally found a sort of workaround:
1. before printing, go to print preview;
2. Press Ctrl+A (select all)
3. Press F9 (update fields)
4. If asked what to update, select the option you want and click ok. (might occur several times)

In the print preview, the page numbers in the TOC will be shown correctly now. Do not leave the preview, just press Ctrl+P to print. The document will now be printed with correct page numers in the TOC.

The steps above do not solve the actual error itself. It's just a workaround.
FYI; I'm using Word 2002 (XP) at the office, and Word 2003 at home, and in both versions this error occurs.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You haven't described the actual problem very clearly... Are you saying that
page numbering displays and/or prints incorrectly? If so, does it happen
with any document or just with a particular one?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Gijsbert . wrote in message ...
I have this problem all the time. However, I accidentally found a sort of
workaround:
1. before printing, go to print preview;
2. Press Ctrl+A (select all)
3. Press F9 (update fields)
4. If asked what to update, select the option you want and click ok.
(might occur several times)

In the print preview, the page numbers in the TOC will be shown correctly
now. Do not leave the preview, just press Ctrl+P to print. The
document will now be printed with correct page numers in the TOC.

The steps above do not solve the actual error itself. It's just a
workaround.
FYI; I'm using Word 2002 (XP) at the office, and Word 2003 at home, and in
both versions this error occurs.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Gijsbert,

Like Stefan, I don't see a problem description, just a 'workaround'.

Do you have the 'update fields' and 'update links' options checked under Tools|Options|Print?

--
Cheers
macropod