Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cliff Lewis Cliff Lewis is offline

Default Trouble filtering recipients

I just started having trouble with a mail merge using an Excel
document as the data source. I am trying to use Advanced settings to
select recipients whose membership status is "Current" and whose email
addresses are blank. When I do that, the filter works just as it
should in the recipient list. But when I close the recipient list and
do my merge (or just re-open the recipient list), I get extra
recipients. Calling the recipient list up again and selecting the
Advanced filter settings, I see that my filters have changed to Status
Equal to Current And email Is blank Or email Is blank. Sometimes
there are several added "Or email Is blank"s. Any idea what could be
causing this?

Thanks,
Cliff Lewis
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Unfortunately, there is a known (but AFAIK undocumented) error in this area.
The only "solution" I know - and I have to say that I'm not certain that
even this will work - is to connect using DDE instead of using the default
method (OLE DB) and that may introduce other problems for you. But to switch
to DDE check Word Tools|Options|General|COnfirm conversions at open, go
through the connection process again, and select the DDE option when
offered.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Cliff Lewis" wrote in message
I just started having trouble with a mail merge using an Excel
document as the data source. I am trying to use Advanced settings to
select recipients whose membership status is "Current" and whose email
addresses are blank. When I do that, the filter works just as it
should in the recipient list. But when I close the recipient list and
do my merge (or just re-open the recipient list), I get extra
recipients. Calling the recipient list up again and selecting the
Advanced filter settings, I see that my filters have changed to Status
Equal to Current And email Is blank Or email Is blank. Sometimes
there are several added "Or email Is blank"s. Any idea what could be
causing this?

Thanks,
Cliff Lewis

Editing recipients by filtering KimC Mailmerge 2 May 25th 07 06:43 PM
filtering a column kennmr Tables 1 July 27th 05 10:06 PM
Filtering Data Denise H. via OfficeKB.com Mailmerge 3 May 13th 05 09:47 PM
Filtering Data Louise Mailmerge 0 February 1st 05 06:01 PM
Word should allow for Filtering within Tables seashore999 Tables 1 January 9th 05 08:51 AM