Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Andrew Kennard[_2_] Andrew Kennard[_2_] is offline

Default Word 2007 Blank fields

Hi all

Just loaded Office 2007 to try it out

Just did a quick merge test with a CSV file

If the field in the CSV is blank ie "" then even though there is nothing
else on the line in the master document it prints a blank line ?

Has some default changed somewhere ?

How can I get it to automatically take out blank lines ?

Thanks in advance

Andrew

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

As far as I can see, the lines are suppressed when the field is empty, i.e.
"", but not if there is any space in it, e.g. " "

Is that what you are seeing or not?
--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Andrew Kennard" wrote in message
Hi all

Just loaded Office 2007 to try it out

Just did a quick merge test with a CSV file

If the field in the CSV is blank ie "" then even though there is nothing
else on the line in the master document it prints a blank line ?

Has some default changed somewhere ?

How can I get it to automatically take out blank lines ?

Thanks in advance

Andrew

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Andrew Kennard[_2_] Andrew Kennard[_2_] is offline

At the risk of too many double negatives in one sentance ... no that is not
what I am seeing !

ie "Mr B Mann","1 Acacia Road","New Town","","NT1 1AA"

gives

Mr B Mann
1 Acacia Road
New Town

NT1 1AA

I've also put the 'markers on' and as far as I can see there is nothing else
on the line

Thanks

Andrew

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
As far as I can see, the lines are suppressed when the field is empty,
i.e. "", but not if there is any space in it, e.g. " "

Is that what you are seeing or not?
--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Andrew Kennard" wrote in message
Hi all

Just loaded Office 2007 to try it out

Just did a quick merge test with a CSV file

If the field in the CSV is blank ie "" then even though there is nothing
else on the line in the master document it prints a blank line ?

Has some default changed somewhere ?

How can I get it to automatically take out blank lines ?

Thanks in advance

Andrew

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Using your data example saved as a csv and one field per line there is no
blank line here?

Andrew Kennard wrote:
At the risk of too many double negatives in one sentence ... no that
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

:-)

Here, what I see when I'm previewing is rather different from what I see
when I either print or output to a new document, so I wonder whether you are
also "just" previewing or actually outputting. Further, the display is
rather different from the equivalent Word 2003 display, which showed a fuzzy
line across the page when the line is suppressed.

I've tried this here using both OLE DB conneciton typewith both OLE DB and
"Word document" type connections to the data source, but not with an ODBC
connection, but there is no difference in the behaviour. I would expect OLE
DB by defualt and if that's what's being used on your system you may be
seeing a dialog box that prompts for the field delimiter (but not the record
delimiter). And you probably see it twice. Is that what you're seeing?