Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Itsaplane Itsaplane is offline

Default Marking records as "merged" (or "printed")

We have a MS-Excel (2007) spreadsheet listing customer refund
requests/addresses/etc. in rows (records). When a customer asks for a
refund, we add their request to this growing list (typically in a batch of
refund requests at the same time).

Then we'll mail merge and print a MS-Word (2007) form letter to these newly
added customers -- BUT we don't want to include the previously added requests
(that we previously printed a letter for).

Our approach so far is to MANUALLY add a "yes" to a "Printed"? column for
each request record printed, then filter these out when we press the "Edit
Recipients List" in MS-WORD to print the newly added customers.

Question 1: is there a way to AUTOMATICALLY add a "yes" to the "Printed?"
column when records are merged (and then printed)?

Question 2: is this the best way to do this? Our objective is to have a
growing Excel spreadsheet that we can use to see a history of these refund
requests - but only print the form letter for the as yet unprinted records.

Thanks,

Eric
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

The answer to question 1 is "No", unless you resort to the use of a macro
based solution - probably a "roll-you-own" alternative to mail merge

The answer to question 2 is that it would be far better to do the whole
thing in an Access database.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.