Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jezzica85 jezzica85 is offline

Default Slightly changing bookmarks in IncludeText

Hi everybody,
Since Word hasn't cooperated with me with tables of contents, in one of my
documents, I created a table of contents where I bookmarked the beginning of
chapters, then used a PAGEREF field with the bookmarks to get the proper page
number. In my main document, that works fine.

What I'd like to do now, though, is insert this entire document into
another, basically put it together with two more documents. When I do that,
since the bookmarks I marked in the original document will still exist in the
text field, I'd like to update the table of contents in the new document so
it reflects page numbers in the new document, without changing the page
numbers from when the document parts were separate.

So, for an example, in my original document, the first chapter is on page 2
and the second chapter is on page 10. The bookmarks I used for them were
{PAGEREF A1} and {PAGEREF A2}. The original document spans 115 pages. In the
new document, the original document is inserted on page 2, so the first
chapter starts on page 3 and the second chapter starts on page 11. When I try
to update the PAGEREF fields, though, I get 116, which is the length of the
new document to the end of the original document.

I hope that was clear, so, can anyone explain to me why my PAGEREF fields
won't work right in the new document?

Thanks,
Jezzica85
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

In the target document, press Alt+F9 to display field codes. Add \! to the
INCLUDETEXT field; this switch ensures that any fields inserted by the field
can only be updated in the source (inserted) document.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP