Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Phil Phil is offline

Default Converting Word to PDF

I'm trying to "right-click" on my word files and convert to PDF to protect my
proposals, but the option isn't available. Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Do you have software installed that will do this - such as the full version
of Adobe Acrobat?
Neither Word nor Windows offer such a function by default.

Phil wrote:
I'm trying to "right-click" on my word files and convert to PDF to
protect my proposals, but the option isn't available. Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Holst Holst is offline

Graham Mayor wrote:

Do you have software installed that will do this - such as the full version
of Adobe Acrobat?
Neither Word nor Windows offer such a function by default.

If you want Word to save as PDF, you can install the following Add-in if
you're running Word 2007:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4D951911-3E7E-4AE6-B059-A2E79ED87041&displaylang=en
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

You can't just "convert" a file from one type to another - I won't go on a
rant about the impropriety of that term or the confusion & misconception its
usage perpetuates, however:)

A _copy_ of the file must be created by a program capable of saving a file
in the desired format. In this case you need an application such as Acrobat,
TinyPDF, PrimoPDF, or some such program.
--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"Phil" wrote in message
I'm trying to "right-click" on my word files and convert to PDF to protect
my
proposals, but the option isn't available. Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Phil Phil is offline

Graham, Thanks for the response. I installed Adobe Reader 8, but now I'm
assuming I need some other third party software to have this option. Do you
know what other software I need?

Thanks again.

Phil

Phil wrote:
I'm trying to "right-click" on my word files and convert to PDF to
protect my proposals, but the option isn't available. Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

I'm assuming I need some other third party software to have this
option.

That's correct. The software Graham referred to, the full version of Adobe
Acrobat, is rather expensive.

If you just want the basic conversion without the many features Acrobat
provides, there are free alternatives. Ones with good reputations are
CutePDF, PrimoPDF, and PDF995. Most of them install as printer drivers; you
open your document in Word, open the Print dialog, and choose the PDF
software as the "printer".

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Phil wrote:
I'm trying to "right-click" on my word files and convert to PDF to
protect my proposals, but the option isn't available. Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

As far as I am aware, only the full version of Acrobat gives the option of
converting from a right click in Explorer - the free ones work by 'printing'
to a driver.

Phil wrote:
I'm trying to "right-click" on my word files and convert to PDF to
protect my proposals, but the option isn't available. Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
paul paul is offline

One solution to this is to install Open Office (www.openoffice.org), which
has a PDF converter inside. You can then right-click on the document, then
select Open With Open Office; after the doc is brought up, just click on the
PDF icon and there you have it. Now its a bit more complicated than a
right-click, but not that much more...