Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DMW DMW is offline

Default Formatting a navigation thingy in the margin

I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to explain this clearly...
I have an existing document in which the author displays the current section
number in the margin. It appears to somehow be embedded in the header. It
shows up on the left or right margin depending on whether it is an even or an
odd page.

Does anyone know how do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

DMW wrote:
I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to explain this clearly...
I have an existing document in which the author displays the current
section number in the margin. It appears to somehow be embedded in
the header. It shows up on the left or right margin depending on
whether it is an even or an odd page.

Does anyone know how do this?

In File Page Setup Layout, check "Different odd and even". This gives
you separate, independent headers on even and odd pages.

With the cursor in the even-page header, insert a text box or frame, drawing
it in the left margin at the desired location. It doesn't have to be in the
"header area". Because the cursor is in the header, though, the box will
repeat on even-numbered pages as if it is part of the header. Put a Section
field (or a StyleRef field that will repeat the section title) in the box.

Now put the cursor in the odd-page header and insert a box in the right
margin, with a field inside it.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

For a start, see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/AnchorToHeader.htm.
You'll need to use "Different odd and even" headers/footers to put your text
box or frame on alternating sides of the page. If by "section number" you
mean what Word means by "section number," you can use a { SECTION } field in
this frame. If you mean the number of a specific numbered heading level,
then you can use a StyleRef field to pick this up (see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm).

"DMW" wrote in message
I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to explain this clearly...
I have an existing document in which the author displays the current

section
number in the margin. It appears to somehow be embedded in the header. It
shows up on the left or right margin depending on whether it is an even or

an
odd page.

Does anyone know how do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

You could actually print it to a .pdf file again and this time tell it to
reverse the pages.

--

JoAnn Paules
Microsoft MVP - Publisher

How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
For a start, see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/AnchorToHeader.htm.
You'll need to use "Different odd and even" headers/footers to put your
text
box or frame on alternating sides of the page. If by "section number" you
mean what Word means by "section number," you can use a { SECTION } field
in
this frame. If you mean the number of a specific numbered heading level,
then you can use a StyleRef field to pick this up (see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm).

so
all may benefit.