Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
noelpell noelpell is offline

Default email merge using Word

I am trying to do a bulk email from Word using Outlook to send. I have
several thousand recipients. I go through the process fine but after they
start generating and when the outbox gets close to 200 messages in it, it
stops receiving them from Word, although Word will still show it processing
through all of them. Sometimes I get an error in Word "system call failed".
This is very frustrating when you are trying to send thousands and can only
do 200 at a time. The email itself is only 81KB. Does this have to do with
some kind of size limit in the outbox? I've tried to let it send out while it
was still accummulating in the outbox but same problem occurs. One lucky time
I did ge about 500 at one shot. I'm using a POP3 email server and Office 2003.

Any advice would be great! Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I suspect this is an anti-spamming measure introduced by Outlook. You could
check with the Outlook forum.

noelpell wrote:
I am trying to do a bulk email from Word using Outlook to send. I have
several thousand recipients. I go through the process fine but after
they start generating and when the outbox gets close to 200 messages
in it, it stops receiving them from Word, although Word will still
show it processing through all of them. Sometimes I get an error in
Word "system call failed". This is very frustrating when you are
trying to send thousands and can only do 200 at a time. The email
itself is only 81KB. Does this have to do with some kind of size
limit in the outbox? I've tried to let it send out while it was still
accummulating in the outbox but same problem occurs. One lucky time I
did ge about 500 at one shot. I'm using a POP3 email server and
Office 2003.

Any advice would be great! Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I never do e-mails in these volumes but if this happened to me the first
thing I would try is
a. disable Outlook from /sending/
b. do the merge and see if all the messages end up in the Outbox
c. re-enable Outlook sending.

How you do (a) probably depends on the verwion of Outlook but in OL2003 you
could try Tools|Options|Mail Setup Send/Receive.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"noelpell" u38033@uwe wrote in message news:794cbf35b260d@uwe...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
noelpell via OfficeKB.com noelpell via OfficeKB.com is offline

Thank you for your response. I did try disabling the send/receive to see how
many would accumulate in the outbox and pretty much the same thing happens.
When I merge fewer records like 500, it seems to work fine. It could be that
Word just can't handle merging 17000 records in one shot.

Peter Jamieson wrote:
I never do e-mails in these volumes but if this happened to me the first
thing I would try is
a. disable Outlook from /sending/
b. do the merge and see if all the messages end up in the Outbox
c. re-enable Outlook sending.

How you do (a) probably depends on the verwion of Outlook but in OL2003 you
could try Tools|Options|Mail Setup Send/Receive.

I am trying to do a bulk email from Word using Outlook to send. I have
several thousand recipients. I go through the process fine but after they

[quoted text clipped - 14 lines]

Any advice would be great! Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
noelpell via OfficeKB.com noelpell via OfficeKB.com is offline

Thanks for your response, I will see if I can find anything on that.

Graham Mayor wrote:
I suspect this is an anti-spamming measure introduced by Outlook. You could
check with the Outlook forum.

I am trying to do a bulk email from Word using Outlook to send. I have
several thousand recipients. I go through the process fine but after

[quoted text clipped - 10 lines]

Any advice would be great! Thanks!