Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Tazzy via OfficeKB.com Tazzy via OfficeKB.com is offline

Default Merge all records

Hi all,

Wonder if someone can help me out with this one please. I have a table of
50+ applicants who will be called for a job interview. Individual letters
have been sent to them, but I would like to create a one page listing of all
those attending on a particular date. At the moment, all my records just
show one per page. Is there a way around this please.

Thanks,

Tazzy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Set the type of merge to be "Direcotry" (or "catalog" in Word 2000 or
earlier or if you are starting from Outlook)

In Word 2002/2003 you can do that in one of the first steps in the Mail
Merge Wizard in Word, or enable the Mail Merge toolbar via e.g.
View|Toolbars. In Word 2000 and earlier you do it in the first step of the
Mail Merge Helper. In Word 2007 it's one of the first steps in the Mailings
ribbon. (In Mac Word 2004 it's a fairly obvious choice in Data Merge Manager
I think)

Typically for this kind of thing you can either put all your fields on one
line and add one paragraph mark (otherwise everything ends up on one line)
or create a one-row table with as many columns as you have fields, and put
one merge field in each cell. You can only merge to a new document, and it's
probably easiest to add any column headings after the merge.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Tazzy via OfficeKB.com" u26845@uwe wrote in message
Hi all,

Wonder if someone can help me out with this one please. I have a table of
50+ applicants who will be called for a job interview. Individual letters
have been sent to them, but I would like to create a one page listing of
all
those attending on a particular date. At the moment, all my records just
show one per page. Is there a way around this please.

Thanks,

Tazzy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Tazzy via OfficeKB.com Tazzy via OfficeKB.com is offline

Many thanks Peter, sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Is there a way of displaying the details of the persons attending on a
certain date, but without repeating the date throughout, ie the following
persons will be attending on 'X date', followed by a list of their names

Thanks,

Tazzy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You are nearly in the territory we call "multiple items per condition" when
you do that - if you seach using e.g. Google groups for recent messages
containing the following words you should find some examples of how to do
that:

Peter Jamieson MERGESEQ

However, in this case it may be slightly simpler than the full "multiple
items per condition" thing. Try putting the following field at the beginning
of your line of fields:

{ IF "{ MERGESEQ }" = "1" "{ SET lDate "" }" "" }

Put the following field at the end of your line of fields:

{ SET lDate "{ MERGEFIELD mydate }" }

And in the column where you want the date field, put

{ IF "{ MERGEFIELD mydate }" = "{ REF lDate }" "" "{ MERGEFIELD mydate }" }

where
a. mydate is the name of the field in the data source that contains the
date
b. all the {} are the special field code braces you can insert using
ctrl-F9.

--

Many thanks Peter, sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Is there a way of displaying the details of the persons attending on a
certain date, but without repeating the date throughout, ie the following
persons will be attending on 'X date', followed by a list of their names

Thanks,

Tazzy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Tazzy via OfficeKB.com Tazzy via OfficeKB.com is offline

Mmm, going to need some practice at this first I think, didn't realise it was
that complex. Am I right in thinking that the items in braces are actually
entered onto the Word document. Surely they will show up on the finished
article. Sorry if it's a dumb question, but this is all unexplored ground to
me

Thanks so far,

Tazzy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Am I right in thinking that the items in braces are actually
entered onto the Word document.

Yes, but you can't just type the braces themselves - there are various ways
you can insert them, but the easiest is probably to use ctrl-F9 to insert
each pair. Everything else inside them is normal text.

Surely they will show up on the finished
article.

No, because when you use the special field braces, Word can then recognise
that the field is "special", i.e. not to be treated as normal text. The
field code is not printed (unless you have checked the relevant box in
Tools|Options|Print etc.), but the field result is. As you will see when you
try it.

--

Mmm, going to need some practice at this first I think, didn't realise it
was
that complex. Am I right in thinking that the items in braces are
actually
entered onto the Word document. Surely they will show up on the finished
article. Sorry if it's a dumb question, but this is all unexplored ground
me

Thanks so far,

Tazzy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Tazzy via OfficeKB.com Tazzy via OfficeKB.com is offline

Peter

Thank you very much for all of your help - am off to practice.

Regards,

Tazzy