Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
q3pd q3pd is offline

Default Some records missing data after merge

I have 150 letters compiled from merged data from an Excel sheet. The data is
averaging 200 characters and spaces per cell and is in sentences in the cells.
Some of the letters carry data that matches the Excel cell data, while some
letters only carry a small percentage of the data - in essence the data stops
in mid-sentence. I thought it might be that only a certain number of
characters are merged but this isn't the case.
I have checked all the data in Excel and it appears error free.
I also have some instances of data being captured twice even though pressing
alt and F9 shows the fields are only showing once on the initial pre-merge
letter.
Word 2003 SP2 Standard edition for Students and Excel 2003 SP2 Standard
edition are in use.
--
Q3PD
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I have to say I don't work on a daily basis with data like this so it's
quite possible that you have come up with a limitation in Excel that I'm not
aware of.

It is usually worth trying to change the connection method that Word uses to
get the data to see if that makes any difference (check Word
Tools|Options|General|Confirm conversions at open, go through the process of
connecting to your data source again, and choose each of the available
methods in turn. Typically you will see DDE, ODBC and OLE DB.

If the data is not private or confidential, you are welcome to despam my
e-mail address (remove KillmapS), send me a copy of the workbook (and
preferably the mail merge main document) and perhaps I will be able to spot
a problem or at least confirm that the behaviour is the same here.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"q3pd" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
q3pd q3pd is offline

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the tip. Using DDE worked fine.

--
Q3PD