Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Terri Terri is offline

Default Is there a date field that will give the date a document was merge

When I go back to open a merged document, I want to see the date it was
actually merged, not the current date or the date the main document was
created. In other words, if I 'Merge to a new Document' I want a date field
that gives the resulting document the 'date of merging', that doesn't update
when I go back to look at it in the future.

Please help. I am using MS Word 2003.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Terri Terri is offline

I had read your article at:
http://www.gmayor.com/stop_automatic_date_update.htm

prior to asking my question, but wasn't able to make CREATEDATE change to a
new date when I used it on a later date (by changing the date in my
computer), but I wasn't using a Document Template. Is that my problem?

I should save my main document as a template, then each time it is opened to
create a new mail merge it will use that day's date (merge date) rather than
the create date of the template?

"Terri" wrote:

When I go back to open a merged document, I want to see the date it was
actually merged, not the current date or the date the main document was
created. In other words, if I 'Merge to a new Document' I want a date field
that gives the resulting document the 'date of merging', that doesn't update
when I go back to look at it in the future.

Please help. I am using MS Word 2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

When merging date fields, the merge behaves differently with DATE and
CREATEDATE fields.

With date fields the date field is retained across the merge so if you merge
to a new document that new document will have an updated field/.

If you use a createdate field in the merge document then the field is
converted to text so the merged document always displays the created date.

The created date is of course the date the merged document was created, so
to change that date to the present date to complete the merge, save the
merge document using SaveAs to save it with the same name. That will give
you a new creation date (today). Update the field and re-merge.

"Terri" wrote:

When I go back to open a merged document, I want to see the date it
was actually merged, not the current date or the date the main
document was created. In other words, if I 'Merge to a new
Document' I want a date field that gives the resulting document the
'date of merging', that doesn't update when I go back to look at it
in the future.

Please help. I am using MS Word 2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Terri Terri is offline

Default Is there a date field that will give the date a document was m

Thank you, kind sir.

"Terri" wrote:

When I go back to open a merged document, I want to see the date it
was actually merged, not the current date or the date the main
document was created. In other words, if I 'Merge to a new
Document' I want a date field that gives the resulting document the
'date of merging', that doesn't update when I go back to look at it
in the future.

Please help. I am using MS Word 2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline