Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
jbc jbc is offline

Default Name Badge Problems - Word 2003

Hi, I'm trying to create name badges with data from Excel 2003. I'm using
Avery 5390 8 up name badges.

I want the labels to look like this:
_____________________
Name of organization

First Name
Company (Most don't have company)
Full Name, City, State

Instructor/Vendor/etc. (Field name Title)
___________________________

I want Instructor/Vendor/etc. to appear in the same spot on every badge.
The number of hard returns will vary if there is no company listed.

I split each label into 2 so that the information will always be in the same
spot and am having trouble. The merge is not working correctly when there is
no title. Word is pulling from the next record.

Label 1 --------------------------------------------Label 2

--------------------------------------------------Next Record
org name---------------------------------------org name

FirstName--------------------------------------FirstName
Company---------------------------------------Company

Title--------------------------------------------Title

Label 3---------------------------------------------Label 4
NextRecord---------------------------------Next Record
org name---------------------------------------org name

FirstName--------------------------------------FirstName
Company---------------------------------------Company

Title--------------------------------------------Title

Same until 8th Label

Thank you.

jbc
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Use a conditional field to ensure there is always something in place for
title eg

{IF {Mergefield Title} "" "{Mergefield Title}" " " }

which inserts a few spaces when there is no title.

jbc wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
jbc jbc is offline

Hi Graham, Thank you for your suggestion. It doesn't work. The only way
I'm able to get it to work is if I put all of the fields into one cell. When
I split the individual name badges into 2 cells and tried to put the title in
the bottom cell, that's when the problems started.

I'm not sure if this is part of it. My data is coming from Excel.

jbc

jbc wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I don't know why you are making things difficult for yourself by splitting
the cells. Put it all in one cell. You can use conditional fields to insert
missing lines when fields may be empty eg

{IF {Mergefield Company} = "" "
"}{IF {Mergefield Street2} = "" "
"}etc

Immediately after the last address field (and on the same line) and before
the line you wish to remain constant placed, so every address will always
have the same number of lines and your last line will always be properly
placed.

jbc wrote:
[...]

Problems importing an Access 2003 Query into a Word 2003 File DJMoran Mailmerge 1 January 21st 07 01:37 PM
create a name badge template rafferty Mailmerge 1 October 8th 06 06:57 AM
how do I add just text in a name badge template? texcritter Page Layout 1 March 16th 06 06:58 AM
name badge merge jmb Mailmerge 2 October 8th 05 08:58 PM
Problems w/ names repeating on a badge mail merge Ryan D Mailmerge 1 October 3rd 05 04:51 AM