Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
[email protected] planb@newsreaders.com is offline

Default Problem with datasource when upgrading from 2000 to 2007

Hello,

I have a mailmerge document in Word 2000, that gets called like so

Dim oWordApps = New Word.Application ' use late
binding
Dim oDocument = New Word.Document ' use late binding

oWordApps.Documents.add(Application.StartupPath &
"\vendorlabel.dot")
oDocument = oWordApps.Documents.Item(1)

When I make the new file visible, all I have to do is click on the
Merge button to start a new merge (the dot already knows the path to
the csv file that contains the merge information).

In 2007 I have to use the wizard to and select the file manually.

How do I tell 2007 the name of the datasource, preferably in a way
that won't mess up 2000?

--
J. Moreno

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

1. When you open the .dot manually in Word 2007, do you see a message that
says "Opening this will run the following SQL command" ? If you do not,
then Word 2007 has probably "lost" your data source, in which case you will
need to
a. open the .dot file (and I do not mean "create a new .doc based on the
..dot")
b. attach the data source to the .dot
c. save and close the .dot.

2. You will probably need to follow the instructions he

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825765/en-us

3. Unfortunately, depending on the data source, you may find that attaching
it to the .dot causes a problem because the .dot opens the data source, any
..doc based on it also tries to do so and may fail if the data source is not
a multi-user source. If so, another approach may be needed, but let's cross
that bridge if we come to it.

Peter Jamieson

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I have a mailmerge document in Word 2000, that gets called like so

Dim oWordApps = New Word.Application ' use late
binding
Dim oDocument = New Word.Document ' use late binding

oWordApps.Documents.add(Application.StartupPath &
"\vendorlabel.dot")
oDocument = oWordApps.Documents.Item(1)

When I make the new file visible, all I have to do is click on the
Merge button to start a new merge (the dot already knows the path to
the csv file that contains the merge information).

In 2007 I have to use the wizard to and select the file manually.

How do I tell 2007 the name of the datasource, preferably in a way
that won't mess up 2000?

--
J. Moreno

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
[email protected] planb@newsreaders.com is offline

On Oct 18, 12:13 am, "Peter Jamieson"
wrote:
1. When you open the .dot manually in Word 2007, do you see a message that
says "Opening this will run the following SQL command" ?

-snip-
2. You will probably need to follow the instructions he

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825765/en-us

-snip-

I got the error message about running the SQL command (so it hadn't
really lost the data source), did the second step and it worked fine.

Thanks,

--
J.Moreno