Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
thd3 thd3 is offline

Default My simple merge mailing keeps failing after 5-10 emails goes out?

I have a form letter that I am not inserting any text into - I am merging
that with e-mail addresses (from an Excel worksheet with about 10,000
addresses) to send out e-mails. I am only selecting about 300 records for
each merge but Word keeps "not responding" after 5-10 e-mails go out??
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I haven't encountered this and am not sure where to start, but which version
of Word/Excel, which e-mail client (Outlook, Outlook Express, something
else?) and how is it sending its emails? (Via MS Exchange Server? SMTP?).
Have you tried using Office Detect and Repair?

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"thd3" wrote in message
I have a form letter that I am not inserting any text into - I am merging
that with e-mail addresses (from an Excel worksheet with about 10,000
addresses) to send out e-mails. I am only selecting about 300 records for
each merge but Word keeps "not responding" after 5-10 e-mails go out??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Rich/rerat Rich/rerat is offline

thd3,
Have you check with your ISP, and find out if there is a limit on the
amount, either quantity or size of message or both, that are allowed to be
sent out through their service, for the service that you subscribe to.

Some ISP's restrict the number of messages you can send out at once, per
hour, or day, especially if you have a residential acct. Others will
restrict the message based on the size of it. Or the multiple copies of a
single message being sent out. They use this filtering method, to prevent
spamming and or media transfer.

Also make sure that the email addresses are valid. You may have an invalid
email address, being used in the merge, that is jamming up the whole
process.

--
Have A Good Day
Rich/rerat

(RRR News) message rule
Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate

"thd3" wrote in message
I have a form letter that I am not inserting any text into - I am merging
that with e-mail addresses (from an Excel worksheet with about 10,000
addresses) to send out e-mails. I am only selecting about 300 records for
each merge but Word keeps "not responding" after 5-10 e-mails go out??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
JethroUK© JethroUK© is offline

And should we encourage people to send 10,000 emails?

I can't imagine many legitimate cases

"thd3" wrote in message
I have a form letter that I am not inserting any text into - I am merging
that with e-mail addresses (from an Excel worksheet with about 10,000
addresses) to send out e-mails. I am only selecting about 300 records
for
each merge but Word keeps "not responding" after 5-10 e-mails go out??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

The thing is that when Word merges to email, it sends the emails using MAPI,
not directly using SMTP or anything like that, so unless this user's MAPI
providers are very closely coupled to SMTP or whatever other transport they
are using, the problem is much more likely to be in their MPAI subsystem or
e-mail client than a limit imposed by the ISP. For example, if they are
using Outlook and they switch off Outlook's transmission facility
temporarily, Word should output as many emails as it is told to Outlook and
they should appear in Outlook's Outbox.

5-10 emails seems a very low limit for SPAM prevention. Personally I would
regard it as "ordinary behaviour prevention" and more the kind of thing that
a government would impose than a credible ISP.

Just my 2c-owrth, of course :-)

Peter Jamieson

"thd3" wrote in message
I have a form letter that I am not inserting any text into - I am merging
that with e-mail addresses (from an Excel worksheet with about 10,000
addresses) to send out e-mails. I am only selecting about 300 records
for
each merge but Word keeps "not responding" after 5-10 e-mails go out??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

And should we encourage people to send 10,000 emails?

Who is "we"?

I can't imagine many legitimate cases

I can. As just one example, the "petition" website run by UK Gov 10 Downing
Street regularly attracts large numbers of people subscribing to a
petition - in some cases, probably several hundred thousand. Each of them
either may, or has to, provide an e-mail that allows a response, and Downing
Street quite legitimately emails all those people with its response to the
email. Why shouldn't it? There are probably many Internet-based businesses
that regularly e-mailshot large numbers of subscribers and also honour
opt-outs and so on.

Just because SPAM is rife on the Internet does not mean that there are not
perfectly legitimate opt-in mass mailings. That said, if I was doing a
10,000 address mass mailing I'd probably look for a better tool than Word
MailMerge.

Peter Jamieson

"thd3" wrote in message
I have a form letter that I am not inserting any text into - I am merging
that with e-mail addresses (from an Excel worksheet with about 10,000
addresses) to send out e-mails. I am only selecting about 300 records
for
each merge but Word keeps "not responding" after 5-10 e-mails go out??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Rich/rerat Rich/rerat is offline

JethroUK©,
Church treasurer sending out a special announcement could be one good
reason. Maybe some churches have a large congregation.