Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
bmorganh bmorganh is offline

Default Mail Merge from Excel

I have tried to follow the help file to merge a list of names from Excel into
Labels in Word. When I get to the step that allows me to preview the merge
it is always blank. Also when I print the labels they are blank. Help!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You have to insert some mailmerge fields from your Excel workbook into the
label document - Word does not do this automatically (it cannot know which
data you want to insert). See for example Graham Mayor's pages at

or
http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm

Peter Jamieson
"bmorganh" wrote in message
I have tried to follow the help file to merge a list of names from Excel
into
Labels in Word. When I get to the step that allows me to preview the
merge
it is always blank. Also when I print the labels they are blank. Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Mike[_9_] Mike[_9_] is offline

In message
at 08:25:10 on Thu, 1 Nov 2007, Peter Jamieson
wrote
You have to insert some mailmerge fields from your Excel workbook into the
label document - Word does not do this automatically (it cannot know which
data you want to insert). See for example Graham Mayor's pages at

or
http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm

For the life of me I could not find the "Insert Merge Fields" button
when going from 2000 (where the button was labelled with those words) to
2003, but I have it now. The Office 2003 page is slightly different as
it's more wizard like, but the above made me think a bit more to look
for the button, so thanks for your post.
--
Mike News
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

In Word 2002/2003 it's often easier to enable the MailMerge toolbar (e.g. in
View|Toolbars) than to use the wizard. It doesn't appear/disappear
automatically like the one in Word 2000 and earlier though...

Peter Jamieson
"Mike" S wrote in message
In message
at 08:25:10 on Thu, 1 Nov 2007, Peter Jamieson
wrote
You have to insert some mailmerge fields from your Excel workbook into the
label document - Word does not do this automatically (it cannot know which
data you want to insert). See for example Graham Mayor's pages at

or
http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm

For the life of me I could not find the "Insert Merge Fields" button when
going from 2000 (where the button was labelled with those words) to 2003,
but I have it now. The Office 2003 page is slightly different as it's
more wizard like, but the above made me think a bit more to look for the
button, so thanks for your post.
--
Mike News

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Mike[_9_] Mike[_9_] is offline

In message
at 23:51:26 on Sat, 3 Nov 2007, Peter Jamieson
wrote
In Word 2002/2003 it's often easier to enable the MailMerge toolbar (e.g. in
View|Toolbars) than to use the wizard. It doesn't appear/disappear
automatically like the one in Word 2000 and earlier though...

I had done that, but spotting the icon which used to be a text label had
me foxed for ages.
--
Mike News