Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
TJ TJ is offline

Default How do I delete or edit a data source entry in Microsoft Word?

I am trying to delete one of the recipients in a mail merge data source, and
the Edit button is greyed out. Why?!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Whether you can edit your data source from within WOrd, and how you do it,
depends on the type of data source and the version of Word. So...

Which version of Word, and what is the data source?

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"tj" wrote in message
I am trying to delete one of the recipients in a mail merge data source,
and
the Edit button is greyed out. Why?!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Teego56 Teego56 is offline

If it shows a list of data sources, you must choose the correct one and the
'edit' button will become usable. Even if it only shows the one data source
that you want to delete from, you must choose it (highight it) and the edit
button becomes usable.

"tj" wrote:

I am trying to delete one of the recipients in a mail merge data source, and
the Edit button is greyed out. Why?!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
TJ TJ is offline

It is Word 2003, data source is for a mail merge (addresses for letters). I
have edited data sources within this version of word before, but even if I
select a recipient in the list, the Edit button is still greyed out.

"tj" wrote in message
I am trying to delete one of the recipients in a mail merge data source,
and
the Edit button is greyed out. Why?!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

It is Word 2003, data source is for a mail merge (addresses for letters).
have edited data sources within this version of word before, but even if I
select a recipient in the list, the Edit button is still greyed out.

OK, do you mean that you created this dta source from within Word's
mailmerge process? And the data source is not a Word document? If so, the
data source should be in a .mdb file which is an Access database, and you
would normally be able to edit it. However, these /mdb files have a very
specific format which, if altered, can prevent Word from editing them -
e.g., that can happen if you used Access to modify the .mdb. Are you aware
of doing anything like that? If so, is there any way you can revert to an
earlier version of the file without losing much data? If you are in a
position to do so, you are welcome to send a copy of the .mdb to me and I'll
see if I can connect and edit. (Despam my e-mail by removing the KillmapS).

If the data source is not a .mdb or Word document, things are a bit
different - let us know.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"tj" wrote in message
I am trying to delete one of the recipients in a mail merge data source,
and
the Edit button is greyed out. Why?!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
TJ TJ is offline

The data source was created through Microsoft Word's merge process. I cannot
say for sure if it has been modified through Microsoft Access, as I am not
the only person who has access to the file. The file extension is mdb. I am
not very familiar with Access; can I edit the data source through Access
without changing the format?. If so, how? Also, how can you tell if it has
already been modified through Access? If I revert back to an earlier version
of the file, I may as well just start over! Thanks for trying to help me.

(I work in a government office, so unfortunately, I cannot send you the
file. It contains personal information that cannot be disclosed according to
the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act).

"tj" wrote in message
I am trying to delete one of the recipients in a mail merge data source,
and
the Edit button is greyed out. Why?!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

The data source was created through Microsoft Word's merge process. I
cannot
say for sure if it has been modified through Microsoft Access, as I am not
the only person who has access to the file.

OK, let's just say that it is possible that someone else has accessed this
file using Access...

The file extension is mdb.

....as a .mdb file would typically mean that it's an Access (or Jet) file.
- Jet is a "database engine" that manages .mdb databsaes
- Access is a program that uses Jet database technology as one of its
native database formats.

However, when Word creates a data source in .mdb format, it uses a special
format called "Office Address List" (OAL) format...

not very familiar with Access; can I edit the data source through Access
without changing the format?. If so, how?

What that means is that
a. every OAL is a .mdb file
b. not every .mdb file is an OAB file
c. in particular, if you open an OAL using Access and make changes, Word
may no longer recognise it as an OAL.

Also, how can you tell if it has
already been modified through Access?

I don't know, sorry.

If I revert back to an earlier version
of the file, I may as well just start over! Thanks for trying to help
me.

(I work in a government office, so unfortunately, I cannot send you the
file. It contains personal information that cannot be disclosed according
the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act).

Understood.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"tj" wrote in message
I am trying to delete one of the recipients in a mail merge data
source,
and
the Edit button is greyed out. Why?!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
TJ TJ is offline

So, I don't suppose there is some way to change it back to OAL? It looks
like I'm just going to have to start over from scratch. Oh, well. Thanks
for trying to help!

"tj" wrote in message
I am trying to delete one of the recipients in a mail merge data
source,
and
the Edit button is greyed out. Why?!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Use the data source with a Directory type mail merge main document in which
you set up a one row table with as many columns as there are fields in the
data source and insert a merge field into each of the cells. Then when you
execute that merge to a new document, that document will contain a table
with a row of data for each record in the data source. Insert a row at the
top of the table and into the cells of that row, insert the names of the
fields in the data source. Then you can edit the information in that
document, save it and then use it as the data source for the mail merge that
you were originally wanting to perform.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.